OCD much?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
No, just joking. But all EE computer maniacs have a small detective Monk in us.

You know, with the even numbers and the complete lists of things and all...

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I definitely have slight OCD, though it's not debilitating for me. It usually only results in me being very picky when it comes to food, stuff I buy, and I have difficulty making decisions. I also subconsciously make everything as even or symmetrical as possible. For me, volume numbers have to be even. If I walk on a sidewalk and I step on a crack with my left foot (and I know it), I have to step on a crack with my right foot. It's all really weird things like that. Looking back I realize they seem pretty stupid. It's just something I do without thinking about it.

Personally, I actually find my OCD is the opposite of debilitating. It has kept me safe and healthy on many occasions. I have never touched drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes, and honestly, I never plan to. I think my slight OCD has actually done me more good than bad, and I'm glad I have it.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Alcohol is on the daily menu though.
I don't have a problem with people drinking, as long as they do so responsibly. I don't because I have alcoholism buried deep in my family history, and I never wanted to risk becoming an alcoholic. To those of you who drink responsibly, more power to you! ;)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Even worse, when I'm putting the finishing plate on outlet and switch around the house the screw slots ALWAYS have to be DEAD VERTICAL even if it means slightly loose or too tight.
I didn't get that one at all. What are you referring to?

To add to the list, often, when I perform a repetitive action (ie. stroking with a brush, bouncing a tennis ball off a wall, pressing a pushbutton) I prefer to do them in multiples of four, like in the music patterns.

I think I 'll move this discussion in a dedicated thread.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
OMG, well I didn't know I had OCD but I checked Wikipedia and it says I have it if I'm an extreme hoarder (my wife says I am so must be true). OMG, I'm freaking out, how do it get rid of it? How many pills a day do I have to take?

Edit: oops, sorry if I'm in the wrong thread.

Well, either I'm going crazy or the BB sw is going nuts or a mod is playing tricks on me. The "Where are you from" thread is moving around.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
OMG, well I didn't know I had OCD but I checked Wikipedia and it says I have it if I'm an extreme hoarder (my wife says I am so must be true). OMG, I'm freaking out, how do it get rid of it? How many pills a day do I have to take?
Hahaha, there's a difference between being a "hoarder" and being a hobbyist. If most of the stuff you "hoard" is related to one topic in particular (i.e. electronics), you're simply a collector. Nothing wrong with that..... :D

Of course, I may be a little biased. I'm a packrat when it comes to electronics, but other than that I don't "hoard". :p

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I had a good friend/coworker with bad OCD. Heres a couple things he would do. He didn't even know something was wrong with him. Before going through a door he would always lay his head back and shake his hair? I have no idea why but everytime he would do it. Then if you had a pack of ciggarettes standing up on the bottom of the pack so its tall. He would freak out and throw things at it till he knocked it over flat. One time I went into the store for him, then dropped his change to him through his sunroof. Some of the actual change went in between the seat and center console so he sold the car that week and bought another. Just nutty stuff.

hwy101

Joined May 23, 2009
Check. I do the same.

Even worse, when I'm putting the finishing plate on outlet and switch around the house the screw slots ALWAYS have to be DEAD VERTICAL even if it means slightly loose or too tight.
I was the same way with a lot of things, then my kids got old enough to realize what I was doing and they went around the house and messed with everything, even the screws on the wall plate.
Now I just don't care anymore, life's too short to worry about those little things.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I had a good friend/coworker with bad OCD. Heres a couple things he would do. He didn't even know something was wrong with him. Before going through a door he would always lay his head back and shake his hair? I have no idea why but everytime he would do it. Then if you had a pack of ciggarettes standing up on the bottom of the pack so its tall. He would freak out and throw things at it till he knocked it over flat. One time I went into the store for him, then dropped his change to him through his sunroof. Some of the actual change went in between the seat and center console so he sold the car that week and bought another. Just nutty stuff.
:eek:

P.S. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.