OCD much?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Man, I was just out for a few hours and this thread is 3 pages longer.
Reminds me of a joke someone told me years ago. Remember the years when consumer electronics moved into miniaturized packaging? My friend told me the difference between American and Japanese resistor placement on PCBs. Americans do it laying down while the Japanese prefer it standing up.
We always jokingly called that Japanese TV style, and since we were building military stuff we didn't even think of doing it. But...

Some engineer before me in a tight spot for room built his control board "cordwood" style, meaning he used two PCBs with axial lead parts going between the boards. During testing the prototype one IC would fail, and the repair dept would have to carefully unsolder half the board, wiggle then apart, change the IC, then mount them back. When it failed the 2nd time I had them add a socket for it, mounted on the outside of the assembly.

It was just my 2nd job and an older engineer mentoring me asked where I got the special IC to plug in mirror image. I smiled and told him I just took a standard part and bent the leads back around the other way.
anyway guys, you know already that im into crystal radio.

i want to have a little LCD there (lol) showing the frequency... and i want to have a clicker so i can just click the numbers of frequency so exact!
I got one of those for FREE even. Silicon Laboratories makes some real cool receiver chips for AM/FM/Short wave and I was trying to buy a few, but they had none in distribution. I had to register on the website for the data sheet which is how the local sales rep got my number and called me. I was honest with him and told him it was for personal use, but he appreciated my interest and a month later dropped off a very nice radio they were giving away at a trade show.

It is completely digital tuned with an LCD showing me the exact frequency it is receiving. Very cool. Sparkfun is now selling some of these chips & breakout boards too.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
DerStrom8, yes.

But I appreciate the station does not send the exact frequency though, too.

so if i put the frequency to 594,000 hertz, the station might be sending 594,001, we dont know.

you guys how do you feel about being perfectionistic? im tired.:D

ErnieM, um. oh ok. can that lcd work on crystal radio?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I checked every dictionary in the house, every health wiki on the web, all the references in the pubic library and the medical center library and none said I had OCD. So I'm clean. Thanks for warning me about this guys. Play safe.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I don't know if it's called OCD, bipolar, mainc or whatever, but my family is plane crazy. All they ever do is criticize and complain, like a bunch of babies. I hardly even talk to them anymore. Guess you'd say I'm estranged.

BTW, I feel that sort of thing coming over me from time to time, but I try to suppress it.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I don't know if it's called OCD, bipolar, mainc or whatever, but my family is plane crazy. All they ever do is criticize and complain, like a bunch of babies. I hardly even talk to them anymore. Guess you'd say I'm estranged.

BTW, I feel that sort of thing coming over me from time to time, but I try to suppress it.
I've found myself doing the same thing. It's one of my many faults that I need to work on...

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Guys! We forgot the most important thing! The toothpaste tube!
I just thought about that the other day. I can't believe we forgot it! :p:D

I don't have a problem squeezing it from the middle. I had a friend a while back though who was married to someone who was really strict about squeezing it from the bottom. He grew up in Alabama and was used to squeezing the middle. Apparently it caused a lot of stress in their marriage :D

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I want to know why any deviation from the norm is a "disorder"? ;)

It's a fact that "normal" people are extremely sloppy, disorgansied and erratic, so if someone is more careful, more organised, more professional than the norm it's a "disorder"?? :eek:

Let's have a new term, OCS (obsessive compulsive superiority). To describe people who have tendencies than make them *superior* to normal sloppy careless hopeless people. :D

And save the term "OCD" to describe the people who are really messed up, you know the ones who have to wash their hands 24 times after using the toilet and other behaviour that makes them actually inferior to the norm. ;)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
OC "disorder" is a bit of a contradiction in terms.

Every student in thermodynamics learns that entropy is a measure of disorder. The more disorder there is the higher the level of entropy.

It is nature's tendency to move to a higher entropy level. You don't see nature planting trees in nice orderly rows or rivers running in straight lines.

It is people that build houses in orderly rows and roads in straight lines. We are constantly at battle against nature by trying relentlessly to dominate nature and reduce entropy.

So those of you who have an obsessive compulsion to "order" your world around you, be aware that you are struggling against nature that prefers a "disorder".

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Ah, but isn't the entropy of a tree lower than the various minerals, gasses and liquids it came from? :) (I need to get out more).

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
As I understand it, OCD (or, for THE_RB, OC) people are very neat and tidy. I am quite the opposite - an absolute slob.
hoarding - check.
I have a few little things, like I have to rap on metal with my knuckles when I walk by it - forefinger first, then middle finger. Just a little tap-tap. It's especially gratifying when it's hollow like a filing cabinet. I have a line of 12 parts cabinets leading to my office and I often wonder if anybody's noticed that I tap-tap on every single one of them every single time I walk by.
I also like shiny things - I have a hard time throwing them away even if I know they will never serve a purpose.
Also, totally unrelated, but I have no concept of months. If you tell me something will happen in March, it means nothing to me. If it's really important, then I will count out the months and figure out how many days away that is. In fact, when I typed March I didn't realize it was next month.
I can't stand bones popping and fingernails. If someone pops their bones in my presence it sends chills up my spine and it takes me a few minutes to get over it. I keep hearing it in my head. If someone decides to pop their fingers one at a time, after the second finger, I am on my way to the door. I have to get out. People act like it's a joke, but pretty friggin serious to me. If people have a fingernail issue, like a broken fingernail or nail fungus, same thing, I CAN'T look at it. The wierd(er) thing is that it's fine if it's on me; I can pop my own bones and have my own fingernail issues, no problem.
...Well, as I sit here and type about my issues I realize I could go on all day and nobody would read it, so I'll leave it at that.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
My college goes to the machine just outside our door and buys a handful of "sweet tarts." He takes them back to his desk, and before he eats them, he arranges the candy into lines on his desk, each line has all the bits of the same color arranged perfectly straight. When I asked him why he does that, he just said because he always did it that way. Now c'mon, that's strange!

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It is nature's tendency to move to a higher entropy level. You don't see nature planting trees in nice orderly rows or rivers running in straight lines.

It is people that build houses in orderly rows and roads in straight lines. We are constantly at battle against nature by trying relentlessly to dominate nature and reduce entropy.
I love it! So there is a scientifically proven, direct correlation between greater effort spent on order and evolution/superiority.

Ok, so we can scrap my OCS term as it will become the norm for all superior highly evolved beings in the future, and re-classify all those broken order-deficient people. Let's call them COD (Chronic Order Deficiency).

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I can't stand bones popping and fingernails. If someone pops their bones in my presence it sends chills up my spine and it takes me a few minutes to get over it. I keep hearing it in my head. If someone decides to pop their fingers one at a time, after the second finger, I am on my way to the door.
I got the same thing, with people eating with their mouth open, or chewing gum and blowing bubbles... I'm out.

Maybe it's more like an behavior issue, or the lack of manner among some of the people I hang with...:(

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I don't chew gum and blow bubbles,but I like my food and it varys in the way

I eat my food. A proper meal,whats that,but ribs,finger food,you don't enjoy

your food when needed. There a time and place for every thing,you just have

to know. The place,the event, who you are with. No slack. Picture a get together

with food with all the guys,it would be an ocd event.

Last edited: