numbers on elements

paultwang

Joined Mar 8, 2006
Originally posted by ravi_0605@Mar 12 2006, 04:59 AM
what does the numbers on the diodes and some other elements mean?
[post=14901]Quoted post[/post]​
The numbers are probably part numbers. They are also inscribed/printed on the components if possible.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by ravi_0605@Mar 12 2006, 10:59 AM
As well as being part numbers, some of the numbers and writing on components can be ratings; for example some capacitors have the capacitance value on the casing written <some number>uF.

Dave

alim

Joined Dec 27, 2005
Originally posted by ravi_0605@Mar 12 2006, 06:59 AM
Hi what do you mean by elements? components?--transistors etc?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by alim@Mar 14 2006, 10:30 AM
Hi what do you mean by elements? components?--transistors etc?
[post=14970]Quoted post[/post]​
Element is a short expression for "circuit element". A circuit element is any individual piece of a circuit. It could be a passive component such as a wire, a resistor, a capacitor, or an inductor. It could also be an active component such as a diode, a transistor, a vacuum tube, or a klystron.

This list is neither complete, nor exhaustive, but you get the idea -- I hope.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
In this example, I think you'll find the word element is interchangeable with the word component. The best thing to do is look at the word in context.

Papabravo is correct in what he says about 'circuit element'; however I must say I don't here the word element often in my work.

Dave

alim

Joined Dec 27, 2005
Originally posted by Papabravo@Mar 14 2006, 12:06 PM
Element is a short expression for "circuit element". A circuit element is any individual piece of a circuit. It could be a passive component such as a wire, a resistor, a capacitor, or an inductor. It could also be an active component such as a diode, a transistor, a vacuum tube, or a klystron.

This list is neither complete, nor exhaustive, but you get the idea -- I hope.
[post=14973]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi I was trying to get what RAVI intended to ask. some of these terms may not carry the same meaning to another person.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by alim@Mar 15 2006, 04:34 PM
Hi I was trying to get what RAVI intended to ask. some of these terms may not carry the same meaning to another person.
[post=15035]Quoted post[/post]​
Ravi looked at a diode and asked what the visible numbers printed on the body of the diode were for. Then he asked about other "elements" which also presumeably had some letters or numbers or symbols printed on them.

The original asnwer was that the letters and numbers printed on circuit components are part numbers and possibly values that can be used to identify them and connect them with a datasheet.

One subthread was the use of the word "element" in place of the word "component". I think we have agreed that the terms are interchangeable and that the word "element" is not commonly used in this context.

I am fully aware that familiarity with English may be causing us some problems, and if I have misunderstood what you are asking then I apologize. It is certain that your English is better than my (pick your favorite language). So we do the best we can.

alim

Joined Dec 27, 2005
Originally posted by Papabravo@Mar 15 2006, 05:01 PM
Ravi looked at a diode and asked what the visible numbers printed on the body of the diode were for. Then he asked about other "elements" which also presumeably had some letters or numbers or symbols printed on them.

The original asnwer was that the letters and numbers printed on circuit components are part numbers and possibly values that can be used to identify them and connect them with a datasheet.

One subthread was the use of the word "element" in place of the word "component". I think we have agreed that the terms are interchangeable and that the word "element" is not commonly used in this context.

I am fully aware that familiarity with English may be causing us some problems, and if I have misunderstood what you are asking then I apologize. It is certain that your English is better than my (pick your favorite language). So we do the best we can.
[post=15037]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi My response was only for clarification.Thanks.