[Newbie] : I randomly bought these IC's. Can I do some projects as a complete beginner?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Cost is making TTL a non-starter for hobbyists. Here are some prices from Jameco's 2017 catalog:
View attachment 195737
View attachment 195739
Jameco is the most expensive distributor that I have come across. Almost all other places are cheaper. At least that was my experience. And the worst part is that when I set quantities to take advantage of tye discount, our idiot purchasing guy paid absolutely the highest prices at Jameco. Other places had the same parts bulk packed for less than half as much.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Jameco is the most expensive distributor that I have come across. Almost all other places are cheaper. At least that was my experience. And the worst part is that when I set quantities to take advantage of tye discount, our idiot purchasing guy paid absolutely the highest prices at Jameco. Other places had the same parts bulk packed for less than half as much.
You must not be aware of Jameco's price match policy.
clipimage.jpg

I've found Digi-Key to be the most expensive.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I never met a purchasing agent that read the fine print. I had many an argument with them over substitutes at lower prices when the quality just wasn't there nor the reliability.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I never met a purchasing agent that read the fine print.
My experience has been that they don't care if it's not their money. When I spent company money, I treated it like it was my own.

I worked for a company where the president made a $15 million mistake. The fab manager wanted to by a certain stepper that cost twice as much as the cheapest ones from another company. He couldn't convince purchasing and the president that it was a better machine, so they bought two of the cheap ones ($2.5 million each). After they couldn't be made to work (one never worked well enough to ship from the manufacturer), they spent $10 million to buy the ones that the fab manager specified.

The president's only qualifications were that he had an MBA and was the chairman's son. The company went out of business in about 2 years.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
My experience has been that they don't care if it's not their money. When I spent company money, I treated it like it was my own.

I worked for a company where the president made a $15 million mistake. The fab manager wanted to by a certain stepper that cost twice as much as the cheapest ones from another company. He couldn't convince purchasing and the president that it was a better machine, so they bought two of the cheap ones ($2.5 million each). After they couldn't be made to work (one never worked well enough to ship from the manufacturer), they spent $10 million to buy the ones that the fab manager specified.

The president's only qualifications were that he had an MBA and was the chairman's son. The company went out of business in about 2 years.
I have seen the same thing in another company. "redesign by purchasing", without even asking the engineer if it was OK.
And as for Jameco pricing, this was a few years ago, they may have changed since then. But at that time their methods got them removed from my possible sources list.