[Newbie] : I randomly bought these IC's. Can I do some projects as a complete beginner?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
@babaliaris Here's a table that can be used for interfacing some different logic families:
1574650987032.png

It's still best for beginners to avoid mixing logic families.

Last edited:

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
Code:
к176пу1 к561пу1 CD4010 CMOS → TTL 9/12→5V
к176пу2 к561пу2 CD4009 CMOS → TTL
к176пу3 к561пу3 CD4010 CMOS → TTL
к176пу4 к561пу4 CD4049/CD4050 CMOS → TTL
к176пу5 - - - - ? ? ? ? CMOS → TTL 9→5V
- - - - к564пу6 CD40109 TTL → CMOS
- - - - к564пу7 CD4069 TTL → CMOS
- - - - к564пу8 CD4069 TTL → CMOS
- - - - к561пу9 CD40116 TTL ↔ CMOS
https://www.google.com/search?q=cmos+to+ttl+level+shifter
https://www.google.com/search?q=ttl+schottky+CMOS+level+translation
https://www.elektronik-kompendium.de/public/schaerer/ttlcmosc.htm
https://www.microshemca.ru/14.preobrasow/

Last edited:

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
To tell you the truth I don't even remember digital circuits theory, how a half adder works, how flip flops work, counters, shifters, etc. I used to knew all of these stuff + VHDL but I forgot everything! It's time to start reading again, I have all the books.

But besides that, can I do some cool projects starting with these IC's? I also just started with analog circuits, so in 2 or 3 days I will have a breadboard and a mix of components with different values (resistors, capacitors, diodes, LEDs, transistors, jumper cables).

Can I make Christmas LEDs with these :p

View attachment 191974
I'd suggest you dig around ebay and seek out some electronics/radio magazines from the late 1970s. Back then there was a great deal of hobby development with these TTL devices (some of those above "HC" incorporate CMOS too) and you'll probably find some helpful articles. These will likely have explanations that are accessible too because these devices were current and hobbyists rarely used stuff more sophisticated.

I did a lot with these devices when I was active and studying electronics in college, today though they are uncommon, you can a learn a lot though by playing around with these kinds of devices.

PS: I think this is the issue that included some stuff I wrote on robots.

Last edited:

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Cost is making TTL a non-starter for hobbyists. Here are some prices from Jameco's 2017 catalog:
View attachment 195737
View attachment 195739
A SN7400N was 44p (UK prices) in 1978. 1.0 GBP was 2.6 USD so that price in USD in 1978 was 1.15 USD.

So it seems only a little more expensive today that in 1978, some of the other devices though are certainly more.

A 7404 in 1978 UK was 15p or 0.15 GBP which is 0.39 USD - yet the above price is 1.75 !!!

It used to be easy to get those TTL/CMOS "grab bags" but even these are starting to get silly prices now.

Chris65536

Joined Nov 11, 2019
I've had great luck with Mouser. Most of the simple logic chips there are $0.40 - $0.50/ea, and cheaper if you buy 10. You just need to get a big enough order together, to justify the $8 shipping. Between Mouser and the $2.00 breadboards on ebay, I consider this the best time ever for me as an electronics hobbiest. I remember back in the 80s, when all I had was Radio Shack, and a good breadboard was $50 by mail order. My main source of information was a subscription to Radio Electronics. Now I have every datasheet at my fingertips!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
That's why I buy them from china! I can get a lot of 10 for the usual price of 1 and shipping handling free or less than a dollar most times. BUT and it's big but, ~4 weeks shipping, test them on arrival to make sure they work, and deal with lost or wrong parts orders. Caveat Emptor! They are for my own amusement and I am usually not in any rush. When I am I pay for it at one of the major US distributors to get the genuine factory part plus their high handling and shipping charge for small orders delivered fast.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
BUT and it's big but, ~4 weeks shipping, test them on arrival to make sure they work, and deal with lost or wrong parts orders.
I buy MOSFETs in SOT-23 packages and assembled modules (Arduino clones, level shifters, etc) from Ali Express, but I stay away from SSI/MSI integrated circuits; particularly if they're hard to get. I'm retired and have limited funds to spend on hobbies, but my time is still too valuable to do 100% incoming QA. From some of the pictures on Ali Express and Ebay, you can tell they're counterfeit. On Ebay, I steer clear of sellers who aren't selling odd lots that they've acquired from seemingly legitimate sources (estates, closed businesses, etc).

With counterfeiting so widespread these days (mainly from Chinese sources), I prefer to buy from reputable distributors (Newark, Mouser, Jameco). I recently started buying from Tayda Electronics because they claim to buy only from authorized distributors.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
A 7404 in 1978 UK was 15p or 0.15 GBP which is 0.39 USD - yet the above price is 1.75 !!!
I have about a hundred 7402 in ceramic DIPs. They're now worth about $100 more than what I paid for them.

Back in the 70's prices for CD4xxx were in the dollar range for SSI. Now they're around 50 cents in qty 1.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I cut my teeth on 7400 series TTL. I even bought the Texas Instruments (Orange) TTL Handbook. Today, it’s all 4000 series CMOS Logic. Times change.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
It's all in what you are comfortable with. I can buy a lot of semiconductors from china on just what I spent on gas driving to and from work. And doing QA for me is much more productive than watching TV which I avoid and abhor doing. What I really don't like about "generic/counterfeit" ICs is lack of actual documentation. They may be close to the real thing but who really knows without certified documentation. But then I'm not trying to send a man to the moon and close enough may be good enough for my playing around enjoying my retirement and keeping busy doing something interesting that I can do with my limited mobility these days.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
But then I'm not trying to send a man to the moon and close enough may be good enough for my playing around enjoying my retirement and keeping busy doing something interesting that I can do with my limited mobility these days.
That reminds me...

One of my Arduino clones from Ali Express won't source a few mA from some/all of the digital I/O's. Need to track that one down and mark it. I was trying to cobble together a countdown timer that some new member wanted and I was trying to use an Uno clone to drive an old calculator display. Spent the better part of a day trying to track down the problem (the IDE is flakey so I thought it was a compile problem), but it didn't occur to me to check the output source/sink capability until I had exhausted all other possibilities. Added some CD4050 buffers and didn't give it another thought.

I bought two from that Seller, so need to check both.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I also was using a lot of TTL chips for a test image generator to adjust the color tv's.
The circuit consisted of about 30 chips, was generating fully interlaced test image.

Bertus

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Almost all of the china vendors have no clue about what they are selling other than their profit margin. But they sell them cheaply to beat out the other guy selling them. Bought a resistor decade box with no specs and tried to find out just what was the W rating? None of the vendors had any clue. At least it is accurate and I limit it to 1/4W.