new dc in cable and still no power on laptop, Volts are measured.

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by haramo, Dec 30, 2014.

1. haramo

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Dear

About this laptop: HP Pavillion 17 notebook PC17 e052eb (E5U99EA#UUG)

The charger doesn't charge anymore. The laptop kept working until the battery was empty.

It seems the power jack connector in the laptop is damaged (measured that no 19 V was passed to the motherboard and the connector was damaged)

So I bought a new DC in cable.

But the led on the new connector doesn't light on if I connect it to the charger that is plugged in in a wall outlet.

If I connect the new dc in cable to the motherboard and try again : no led lights up.

If I connect back the powerbutton, and then try again: no led lights up and no power if I press the power button.

I put back the laptop together , no power.

I checked the ac/dc adapter: OK

I checked the new dc in cable connected to the ac/dc adapter: OK

If I connect the new DC in cable to the motherboard and connect it with the ac/dc power adapter.

I measured the V on the ac/dc power adapter: 19,3V

I measured the V on the motherboard after I connected the new DC in cable, (see image nr 1)

19,3 V (1+2)
    18,3 V (1+3)
    14.4 V (1+4)

1 = the pin at the red cable.

Image nr 1:

[​IMG]

Then I measured the V a little bit further on the motherboard on other components (see image nr 2)
    another test I did: If I change the multimeter to the symbol with the arrow (diode checking?)
    I can make the led light up, only if the black and red part of the multimeter are touching the motherboard in a certain order.

I did my best to write down the V , on the motherboard there a numbers (0, 3, again 0, P03, P015... ) at each component I have measured. I circled the components and the numbers not far from the component, so you can see which V goes with which component.
    Image nr 2:

[​IMG]

0: down 10.98 V (orange led lights up fi diode checking is selected on the multimeter )
    up 11.03 V

3: down 6.49 V
    up nothing

0(2): down 5 V
    up 5 V (orange led lights up but not so strong as in 0 ).

P03: 0,541 V

P015: down 6.49 V
    up nothing

PR150: down 11,02 V (white led lights up)
    up 10,98 V

P014: down 5,3 V (white led light up)
    up 5 V

When I put back the laptop together, I measured the connector (7 pins) that connects to the battery:

2.83V
    2.83V
    1.19V
    1.19V
    1.69V
    1.169V
    0V

total is 10,378. I read somewhere that the battery should be charged at 10v, can I count these values toegether or should every pin gives 10v?

My main question is:
    Is it possible that the circuit of the battery works, and that is the reason why the laptop kept working untill the battery became empty? But that there is problem with the circuit from the power jack to the motherboard?

Are these circuits not linked to each other in a way that boths will not function if one doesn't function? Could it be that if I put another full battery (if I had one, I would test it ) in the laptop ,t hat the laptop would start up?

2. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Have you tried pulling the battery out and see if that makes a difference?? I could be wrong but it sounds like the computer was charging the battery and running off that and when the battery died then no workie. Cause power is going to the charging circuit but not poweing the whole pcb.

3. haramo

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 30, 2014
    I disassesmbled the laptop, battery is already pulled out. I think you are right, the laptop could not anymore charge the battery , then the battery runned empty and because of this laptop stopped working.

But the reason why there was no charging possible anymore of the battery is that the dc in cable is damaged. So I thaught: replace the dc in cable and it will be ok, but that is not the case.

I even tried after putting back toegether the laptop, to charge the battery while the ac/dc adapter is connected to the new installed dc in cable, but after a while I came back, tried to boot up but nothing and battery is not hot. So even no power is going to the charging circuit (I mean, I do measure V but the battery doesnt get charged).

Normally the led on the new power jack should light up, if I connect the ac/dc adapter. But that doesnt happen.

Is it possible that the charging circuit and circuit from the dc in cable are not working? But if I put another full battery in the laptop the laptop would boot up, because the circuit of the battery is another circuit then the charging circuit and the dc in cable circuit?