How to repair the outer layer/cover of a cable that still works?

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
A quick question, does anybody know any trick to fix this kind of situation?

A cable that is perfectly fine except its outer protective insulator has been cut and has exposed the internals. The cable works, the inside cables are properly insulated from each other, but the ribbon protective coat has been damaged or cut. Something that doesn't involve cutting the wire and resoldering the end with the internal cables. First thing that comes to my mind of course is heat shrink cable, but both ends are way too big to introduce a proper sized heat shrink cable, it would be so big in diameter that once you shrink it, it would fit the cable at all. A very ugly solution is insulating tape, but it's messy, sticky and not professional, besides, if you pull the cable, good bye tape. If I cut heat shrink cable, wrap it around and heat it, it doesn't work.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I have used it outdoors on an antenna connector to avoid water going into the cable and connector.
It lasted many years.

Bertus

btebo

Joined Jul 7, 2017
I had the exact same problem with my Apple charger cable. I used heat shrink tubing that cover part of the plastic plug and cable. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
+1 on heat shrink tubing. I believe I used the 1/4” and worked perfectly. Make it a little long for extra support.

These cables are the worst. Have you noticed any damage to the power pins. They have a tendency to erode after a while.