Needed help in buying car battery

waynesmith

Joined Jan 7, 2019
Can anyone suggest me some good options of car battery for my volkswagon vento since its existing battery is not working properly so either suggest some solution or suggest some good options.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
You are not the first person to need a new car battery ... just buy what your local dealer has , this is a very big market and lead acid all work pretty much the same and give the same value ...

I doubt you want to go for li-ion , only sensible if you don't want the hassle of changing every 2 years , they will last longer but are much more expensive .

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
I would suggest a vendor that specializes in batteries. The shop I work with in northern Delaware stocks batteries dry and fills them with electrolyte when they are sold. This eliminates the chance for sulphation that occurs when batteries sit on the shelf for too long.
This particular shop installs the battery and checks your alternator output when they do. Their price was also significantly lower than a national chain that I had called for price comparison.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Welcome @waynesmith We're happy to help.

Most places that sell batteries have a book or a computer screen that you look up your vehicle and it will tell you which battery is right for your vehicle. If you don't want to go that route you can check your battery box for dimensions and find a battery that will fit in and has the same type of terminals (screw or post) and which side is positive (and negative). 's not rocket science.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
In my personal experience, AGM batteries have a longer service life than flooded cell lead acid. There will probably be many batteries that will fit your car, just get one with similar specs to the original and you will be fine.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Can anyone suggest me some good options of car battery for my volkswagon vento since its existing battery is not working properly so either suggest some solution or suggest some good options.
1) Make sure your battery is the problem in that your charging system is working correctly.
2) Since I haven't a clue what your location is I can't begin to suggest where to buy a good battery. I would suggest any leading brand name known for quality.
3) My choice is generally a national chain here in the US so if I get a new battery and it fails I do not have to return to the point of sale but can have the problem resolved at any national chain location. Also, most name brand batteries are made by either Johnson Controls or Exide with the label of your choice (branding) on the battery.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
RR is totally correct on both points. And as for changing the type of battery, that can be a HUGE deal. I once replaced a standard wet battery with an AGM battery and it lasted less than a year because the charging rate for an AGM battery MUST BE MUCH LOWER than for a wet cell battery. There is also the concern for size and shape, as well as terminal locations. In most current cars there is only one set of terminal locations that will be simple to connect to, anything different will require changing the wiring harness to allow connections in a different location. THAT can be a very "big deal" project.
Changing to a different battery chemistry, Li-ion or NiCad or Ni Mh, will require a different charging setup costing far more than a new battery installed at the car dealers location. So a similar type replacement battery from a reputable parts stor seems like a better choice.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If opting for the lead-acid version and the battery is installed inside the car body, like a few are now, (mine is under the back seat, Olds) if so it is normally fitted with vents to the auto exterior.
Max.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Just go to an auto parts store. They can test the battery, charging system, and give you replacement options.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
No doubt, the 80's was by my experience!
Awe, you're just a kid.

I've seen them back in the 60's. And I bet they go back inside even further. Under the hood is the best place for them but I know I've seen VW Vans with batteries inside under seats. I've even seen a 6 volt system or two. EVEN a POSITIVE EARTH system.

Chevy Corvair had a generator. Not an alternator, a generator. Don't remember the year; my guess would be 64.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Awe, you're just a kid.
Well I go back to DC generators, mechanical charge regulators and positive ground.
AND a hand crank starter, if needed, and there were a couple of instances where that came in very handy.;)
I am actually as old as the VW factory!
Max.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Under the hood is the best place for them
I'm not convince of that if the doors can't be opened with a dead battery.

I have an E34 (BMW, battery in the engine compartment) that was rarely driven and when the battery died, we couldn't always get the door unlocked (using the BMW solution). When it didn't work, I had to try charging the battery (very slowly) from the trunk using one of the tail light connectors.

My E39 (BMW) has the battery in the trunk. Since I can open the trunks of both cars with the key, it makes more sense to me to have it there. The E39 is also rarely driven because I'm retired and don't go out much. Since it has a standard transmission, I'm the only one in my family who can drive it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
When it didn't work, I had to try charging the battery (very slowly) from the trunk using one of the tail light connectors.
The Auto's I have owned with the internal battery has charging/boosting posts under the hood.
The doors had mechanical opening with the key, as well as the normal electrical locking mechanism.
Max.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I have an E34 (BMW, battery in the engine compartment)
There are exceptions.

My Venza AND Tacoma have keyless entry (touch the handle and it unlocks). When the fob goes dead there's a key that can open the door. Once in you can unlatch the hood if need be. If the car battery is not dead I just hold my dead fob against the start button for a few seconds and wait for a beep. Then I can start the car. Never had a BMW, but I HAVE seen batteries in trunks before. Once or twice maybe.