Need to understand a transistor part marking

JerryEngineer

Joined Nov 30, 2015
I'm working on a project for a friend where he has an old organ (4140 Wurlitzer) that was built in the 1960's. The schematics for it are no longer available. I've isolated the functionality problem to several TO-92 transistors on one of the tone generators. There is no part marking on the devices except for "891". Does anyone have an idea how to cross reference this to a part number? If not, is there an easy way to identify a potential replacement part?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Chances are its silicon, if you can compare it with others on the pcb, use a multimeter on diode test, or remove the transistor and put it into a dvm/transistor tester.

Could be 2sd891, 2sc891, or it could be a unijunction fet, the list is endless....

Any pictures?

Last edited:

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
It could also be a 2SA891 which is listed as similar to BC327A, BC638, BC640, 2SB647.
Silicon pnp 60v 0.5A 0.35W 100MHz
Info from VRT comparison table vol 2

Brevor

Joined Apr 9, 2011
I serviced organs many years ago, many transistors used in organs can be subsituted with generic NPN and PNP transistors. I suggest you trace out the part of the circuit the transistor is used in and also measure a good transistor in order to determine which type it is. (NPN, PNP or other) Then replace the bad ones with a generic 2N3904 or 2N3906 transistor.

Brevor

Joined Apr 9, 2011
It could also be a 2SA891 which is listed as similar to BC327A, BC638, BC640, 2SB647.
Silicon pnp 60v 0.5A 0.35W 100MHz
Info from VRT comparison table vol 2
No, Wurlitzer didn't use foreign transistors in their products.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
In the 60's, there were plenty of American made transistors that would have been used in American products. Your transistor was probably marked with a house number, so unless you have the original schematic or detailed parts list, you're going to have to characterize a functional "891" device to find a modern substitute.

If you find many "891" devices on the boards, you can probably just measure the VCC and select a generic version that has a voltage rating above your VCC measurement.

JerryEngineer

Joined Nov 30, 2015
In the 60's, there were plenty of American made transistors that would have been used in American products. Your transistor was probably marked with a house number, so unless you have the original schematic or detailed parts list, you're going to have to characterize a functional "891" device to find a modern substitute.

If you find many "891" devices on the boards, you can probably just measure the VCC and select a generic version that has a voltage rating above your VCC measurement.

JerryEngineer

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Thanks all for your valuable input. I was able to figure out the transistor type that I needed (2N3904) and the board is now functional again. Thanks again!