need help on some easy-hard electronic problems

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Here is one of many online simulators you can use to check your thoughts:
With the chosen values, the arithmetic can be done without the need for calculators, simulators, or the like.

Anyone needing a calculator to check answers to a question like that has a serious lack of ability and/or confidence.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No one with an EE degree could forget how to do such simple problems. If you're in that situation, you never learned the basics and have no future in EE.
That's kinda where I was coming from. My degrees were in Physics and Electrical Engineering, but my career was in Embedded Systems. You need to learn stuff in such a way that you can't forget it. It goes with the territory. If you can't make the grade, then you are much better off doing something where you won't easily forget the basics. Many people get degrees and follow careers because family and friends expect them to do that. It is a prescription for disaster and the sooner you admit that to yourself the happier and healthier everybody will be. The last think we need running around are engineers who've failed to grasp the basic principles. Engineers who design stuff that fails catastrophically is an indulgence we absolutely cannot afford. So suck it up or get out of the business.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Many people get degrees and follow careers because family and friends expect them to do that. It is a prescription for disaster and the sooner you admit that to yourself the happier and healthier everybody will be.
I worked with someone who got a BSCS degree while working. By the time she received her degree, she decided that she didn't like computer science and became a Realtor. I'm not sure why she finished the program...

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I worked with someone who got a BSCS degree while working. By the time she received her degree, she decided that she didn't like computer science and became a Realtor. I'm not sure why she finished the program...
Many engineers go to law school and become patent attorneys without ever having designed so much as a brass flush handle.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
hey guys, a dear friend is in need of your helps about some problems... his an EE as i am, we both have backgrounds on this type of topic but i cant recall it anymore. he needs to answer it tonight because he has an interview tomorrow thanks for your help.. there are still more problems ill send it after u guys reply thanks again
It sounds like your friend is simply not qualified for any kind of employment involving any aspect of EE (and it would appear that the same probably applies to you). One of the worst things that could happen to him is to actually get an offer -- he will be miserable, he will not do well, and he will get fired.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It says "pre-screen", maybe it's to weed out those who have a BS, and those who are full of BS?

I keep looking at it, thinking there must be a trick somewhere, a real question that I'm not seeing?
Sadly, I don't think there is any trick. When I was interviewing candidates I discovered that just a couple of simple, trivial questions (such as designing a voltage divider to achieve a desired output voltage with no load and ideal components) was beyond the capabilities of most of the EEs that applied for a position. I suspect that first question weeds out a significant fraction of applicants all by itself. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered a job to anyone that pointed out the lack of a ground reference on the second problem.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Any number of basic circuits can be used to discriminate between potential employees. I did such tests as part of a class that was after the people were advanced to Electronics Technician Third Class. It was a rude awakening for some about material they should have retained and not flushed out of their brain.

I did go back and talk to the "A" school Chief and discussed the results with them.

Since that time, when someone said they weren't taught that in school, I reminded them that they were. Naturally, they didn't like being held accountable for what they were suppose to know. I did give them the chance to demonstrate the requisites to improve their skills and their evaluations.

I used a simple integrator and a simple differentiator both with a square wave input. I wanted them to draw the output from T-0

This thread certainly provides some humor, to wit, how many EEs does it take to solve a simple circuit? Apparently more then two in some cases.

Even with this in the homework section, I didn't see any work from the TS. I did see some work from another member.