Need Assistance - EMI Issues with 16x2 LCD Display (Model BCB-1602-03C)

yogeshD123

Joined Jun 12, 2024
Hello Community,

I am Yogesh D from Trident Pneumatics Private Limited, R&D Innovation - Electronics. We are currently using a 16x2 LCD display (model BCB-1602-03C) in the controllers of our dryers. However, we are encountering significant EMI issues that are affecting the display's performance.

The specific issues we are facing include:
- Distortion of characters on the display
- Discoloration and character mismatch

We are using the PIC 16F 876A - E/S P microcontroller in our circuit. I have attached the schematic diagram of our current setup for reference.

LCD-BCB-03Cschematic.jpg

We would greatly appreciate any guidance or suggestions from the community on how to resolve these EMI issues.
We would be very thankful if any of you resolve the issue and give the altered schematic diagram.
If anyone has encountered similar problems or has experience with EMI mitigation for LCD displays, your insights would be invaluable.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I had a similar problem with the BCB-1602-03C 16 x 2 display in an audio control unit that I designed. The solution that worked for me was connecting a 100uF 25V capacitor across the 5Vdc supply, close to the display.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The first thing to try is a capacitor on the power rails at the LCD as Keith has suggested. This is a common problem and solution. Even a 10μF electrolytic capacitor might do the trick.