NE555 extra trigger impulse not recognized...

offroadflow

Joined Sep 9, 2016
Hello all together!

I´m fiddling with a tiny circuit - an NE555 which shall be triggered to hold for 5 minutes BUT shall prolong the time with every new trigger impulse.
The normal timer curcuit does not care about any further trigger after the first and just keeps going until the time has passed after the first trigger.

Is there any possibility to have it reset (but not restart) with every trigger after the initial and before the time ends..?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Flow

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Is there any possibility to have it reset (but not restart) with every trigger after the initial and before the time ends..?
It would be helpful if you posted a schematic so we can see how your trigger is wired.

In essence, you just need to pull the trigger input to less than 1/3VCC to retrigger, but the trigger input needs to rise above 1/3VCC before the one shot times out.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Note that the output goes high at the start of the trigger pulse for those circuits but the timeout period is from the end of the trigger pulse.
That's not a problem if the trigger pulse width is a negligible portion of the timeout period.

Last edited:

offroadflow

Joined Sep 9, 2016
Note that the output goes high at the start of the trigger pulse for those circuits but the timeout period is from the end of the trigger pulse.
That's not a problem if the trigger pulse width is a negligible portion of the timeout period.
...actually thats exactly what i needed...

But now i´m facing another problem:
It seems not possible to build a circuit with a 555 which waits a specific time before it triggers.
Guess a simple RC before the trigger input should do the trick since it´s only a few seconds of delay needed...

Or do you have a more PRO idea..? :)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Its fairly common to feed the trig input via a CR differentiator circuit.

With most of the circuits posted earlier - the capacitor would have to be big enough to make a "fat" spike to ensure fully dumping the 555 timing capacitor.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
But now i´m facing another problem:
It seems not possible to build a circuit with a 555 which waits a specific time before it triggers.
Guess a simple RC before the trigger input should do the trick since it´s only a few seconds of delay needed...

Or do you have a more PRO idea..? :)
Do you want the delay for all trigger pulses including the retrigger pulses, or only for the first trigger pulse?

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Post the circuit you have so far and tell us what is the need for a 5 minute delay, what is the application and its trigger source.
E

offroadflow

Joined Sep 9, 2016
Thank you a lot for your effort!!!
You really help me getting back on the track where i left about 20 years ago...

It´s a row of 555s, the first has a delay OFF of about 5 seconds (5-10 sec adjustable), retriggerable.
After that the delay ON (5-10 sec) before a 10 minute 555 (5-10 minutes).
All in TTL (5V)

It shall become a timer series to finally drive a relay for some time, but only if a few time parameters occure before.

Last edited: