My own camera

Duddy5683

Joined Jan 25, 2023
Is it possible to take this old trail cam which is not wireless but could I take the camera ir sensors and motion sensor and make my own surveillance camera that can transmit to my tv or phone if so where would I start maybe a couple steps to help me get going

Attachments

Duddy5683

Joined Jan 25, 2023
Is it possible to take this old trail cam which is not wireless but could I take the camera ir sensors and motion sensor and make my own surveillance camera that can transmit to my tv or phone if so where would I start maybe a couple steps to help me get going
Or can I add to it to make it wireless to see on my phone or tv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Is it possible? Maybe and that assumes you have the actual pinouts for the parts. Would it be practical? My guess is no. I can buy a camera and use it on my home WiFi network for under $30 USD. Now if you want:
Or can I add to it to make it wireless to see on my phone or tv
That becomes more complicated because your data be it video or audio needs to go somewhere that you can access it be it a cloud or wherever. There are fees involved to lease space and bandwidth for your data.

This is why things like home video surveillance systems are easier bought than built from the ground up. Can it be done? Likely but it would not be practical. Can I tell you how to go about it step by step and develop schematics? Nope.

Ron

Duddy5683

Joined Jan 25, 2023
Is it possible? Maybe and that assumes you have the actual pinouts for the parts. Would it be practical? My guess is no. I can buy a camera and use it on my home WiFi network for under $30 USD. Now if you want:

That becomes more complicated because your data be it video or audio needs to go somewhere that you can access it be it a cloud or wherever. There are fees involved to lease space and bandwidth for your data.

This is why things like home video surveillance systems are easier bought than built from the ground up. Can it be done? Likely but it would not be practical. Can I tell you how to go about it step by step and develop schematics? Nope.

Ron
Thank u yeah really the only reason I want to is just for the fact of doing it cause I thought it would b fun do know of anything I can look up or a cool diy project I can do I want to make something

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Thank u yeah really the only reason I want to is just for the fact of doing it cause I thought it would b fun do know of anything I can look up or a cool diy project I can do I want to make something
Well then by all means go for it. Figure it this way, nothing to lose and everything to gain whether it works or not. I would start simple and worry about things like sending video to your phone later. Along the lines of video transmit WiFi network. Also how for example drones transmit video. A Google of "video transmitter wifi module" should help you get started. Not sure how you would interface the camera you have, maybe another forum member will have some thoughts.

Ron

Duddy5683

Joined Jan 25, 2023
Well then by all means go for it. Figure it this way, nothing to lose and everything to gain whether it works or not. I would start simple and worry about things like sending video to your phone later. Along the lines of video transmit WiFi network. Also how for example drones transmit video. A Google of "video transmitter wifi module" should help you get started. Not sure how you would interface the camera you have, maybe another forum member will have some thoughts.

Ron
Thanks man I appreciate it

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The very first step will be to discover what video format your device uses. To connect it to your TV, wired or wireless, you will need NTSC video. How are you able to view the pictures the camera takes now? That may tell us what format the video is in presently. Or does it save the pictures on a memory stick, to be viewed on ????

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The very first step will be to discover what video format your device uses. To connect it to your TV, wired or wireless, you will need NTSC video. How are you able to view the pictures the camera takes now? That may tell us what format the video is in presently. Or does it save the pictures on a memory stick, to be viewed on ????
Isn't the NTSC format pretty much extinct? Additionally wouldn't NTSC only apply to countries which used the standard? The UK and many countries also used the PAL standard. My limited knowledge of trail cameras is I think MP4 or AVI using a SD card FAT32 formatted. Pretty sure your trail cameras video format is MP4 or AVI with the MP4 format being what seems to now be the leader.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Isn't the NTSC format pretty much extinct? Additionally wouldn't NTSC only apply to countries which used the standard? The UK and many countries also used the PAL standard. My limited knowledge of trail cameras is I think MP4 or AVI using a SD card FAT32 formatted. Pretty sure your trail cameras video format is MP4 or AVI with the MP4 format being what seems to now be the leader.

Ron
NTSC is far from extinct! look at that yellow phono jack on the back of the flat screen smart TV or the "S-Video" connection.
It may not be available in current video source devices, but it is still around. Of course, in the UK and other countries they do use PAL, which is a similar but incompatible format that also delivers analog video.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Forgot about that living in an HDMI world. So yes using wired composite video (NTSC Format) could be sent, Anyway I think the video format for trail cameras is MPEG4 or on older cameras which do video AVI and I am not even sure on that note. Well I guess as many years as the NTSC standard was around it won't just die and go away.
"They stab it with their steely knives
But they just can't kill the beast"
I always did like The Eagles. :)

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Forgot about that living in an HDMI world. So yes using wired composite video (NTSC Format) could be sent, Anyway I think the video format for trail cameras is MPEG4 or on older cameras which do video AVI and I am not even sure on that note. Well I guess as many years as the NTSC standard was around it won't just die and go away.

Ron
Consider that HDMI is the DVI interface with the dollar connector replaced by a three cent connector.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Well I guess as many years as the NTSC standard was around it won't just die and go away.
When I worked in the UK, we used to say the US NTSC system stood for Not The Same Colour twice. :)

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Consider that both NTSC and PAL were able to put all of the picture information into one single signal reliably even back in the vacuum valve era. now it takes a 21 conductor cable to do that with HDMI. Certainly a better picture is possible, but for broadcast TV, why bother??? Who wants to see the well defined stubble on a pitcher , or a hockey players face???

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
When I worked in the UK, we used to say the US NTSC system stood for Not The Same Colour twice. :)
During the early 70s I spent quite a bit of time in Japan. All of the small bars were running music videos. The first thing I noticed was not just how sharp the images were but how vibrant the color definition was. Never forgot that. You don't know what you are missing until you see a stark contrast of what could be. :)

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Certainly a better picture is possible, but for broadcast TV, why bother??? Who wants to see the well defined stubble on a pitcher , or a hockey players face???
When I came to Canada, I did a short stint as service manager for a large domestic electronics store.
The salesmen on the shop floor found it very hard to sell any other TV's than Philips or Sony, when placed alongside, say a the low quality Admiral etc.
The definition was so unbelievably better.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Consider that both NTSC and PAL were able to put all of the picture information into one single signal reliably even back in the vacuum valve era. now it takes a 21 conductor cable to do that with HDMI. Certainly a better picture is possible, but for broadcast TV, why bother??? Who wants to see the well defined stubble on a pitcher , or a hockey players face???
Occasionally, the basketball game is broadcast in 4K TV and I enjoy seeing its remarkable clarity.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The salesmen on the shop floor found it very hard to sell any other TV's than Philips or Sony, when placed alongside, say a the low quality Admiral etc.
When we bought our last TV I was immediately drawn to a Sony Bravia. Likely the best TV we ever had and it's been about 10 years. I just can't justify to myself getting rid of it. :)

Ron

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Many, if not most, modern 'wifi' cameras store the video and transmit it in H265 coding. This is certainly true of my 6 CCTV cameras and my separate doorbell camera. This CODEC format is very suited to high-resolution (HD and up) images.