My First Project

MjollnirZA

Joined Apr 8, 2016
Hi

I am very new to electronics and am looking to start a little project. I am software developer by profession and looking to get into
building little electronics gadgets.

The Idea
I want to create a little key ring type device with a GPS module and Cellular module. Basically it should allow you to SMS to the device
and as a reply send back it's gps coordinates. Power source should be something like Coin Cell Battery.

Disclaimer
I am not looking for anybody to do this for me, I am looking for help on where do I start what equipment do I need to buy.

Regards
a Total noob

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
That´s not impossible, even though it will most likely be at least the size of a garage door remote. How long do you expect it to last on the coin battery? My idea is that asking even a signle day out of it is too much. Unless of course you want it to turn on and check messages only a few times a day.

Also, do you have any experience with electronics?

MjollnirZA

Joined Apr 8, 2016
At this point if it last for an hour I'd be happy. I generally find that learning new things is easier if I have a goal.

Please take into consideration I have zero equipment so what should I get ?

This is what I think I need to get tell me if I am wrong.

1. Breadboard
2. Multimeter
3. Wire
4. GPS module of some sort
5. Cellular (GSM/GPRS) module of some sort

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
At this point if it last for an hour I'd be happy. I generally find that learning new things is easier if I have a goal.

Please take into consideration I have zero equipment so what should I get ?

This is what I think I need to get tell me if I am wrong.

1. Breadboard
2. Multimeter
3. Wire
4. GPS module of some sort
5. Cellular (GSM/GPRS) module of some sort
Did you have a specific size in mind. So far this is as bug as a cell phone.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
My advice would be to start with something a little less ambitious. Maybe build some 555 devices that flip LEDs on and off. Once you get some projects under your belt, you could then approach this idea with the knowledge you have learned from your successful projects.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
My advice would be to start with something a little less ambitious. Maybe build some 555 devices that flip LEDs on and off. Once you get some projects under your belt, you could then approach this idea with the knowledge you have learned from your successful projects.
It really is a basic first project. It isn't like they have to invent GPS or anything. If it is all modular all they have to do is put the tinker toys together. They invent nothing.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
It really is a basic first project. It isn't like they have to invent GPS or anything. If it is all modular all they have to do is put the tinker toys together. They invent nothing.
Really? Interfacing a GPS module with a cellular module with the necessary code changes is a basic first project? I would doubt that these would go together like tinker toys like you suggest.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Really? Interfacing a GPS module with a cellular module with the necessary code changes is a basic first project? I would doubt that these would go together like tinker toys like you suggest.
Do you imagine it to be so difficult? Judging from other posters development of microcontroller projects does not require a lot of electronic. Programming is easier to learn apparently. What all do you need to get a patent? Just an idea and a plan or a working prototype? I have worked with others who applied for patents on electronics ideas who were not very good at electronics.
You don't have to understand the design to use the module. The wonder of integration. You don't have to understand the details of the electronics to use an IC.
I think he can do it. Not easy, but possible. I wouldn't discourager or underestimate him.