Multiple computers--can I use one keyboard?

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
I have an internet radio broadcast setup, and have two computers running now--one running video section, and one running the music automation section. I want to add another to run a separate program to use at times to run as spots and such.
Is it feasible that one keyboard could be used to control either one, maybe with some kind of selector switch deciding which one?
Thanks,
Tim
<SNIP>

Moderators note: removed link

Last edited by a moderator:
At one point in time, I had a Windows program that allowed me to use one mouse with my work computer and my laptop. When you moved the mouse, you made the other screen an extension of the other screen. I think both keyboards worked and it used networking to connect.

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
I was kinda leaning toward an actual switch, but after looking at the Symless software option, seems easy enough and pretty cheap. I'll explore the others too.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I have an internet radio broadcast setup, and have two computers running now--one running video section, and one running the music automation section. I want to add another to run a separate program to use at times to run as spots and such.
Is it feasible that one keyboard could be used to control either one, maybe with some kind of selector switch deciding which one?
Thanks,
Tim
Do those functions and individual programs all require so much processor and auxilary audio and video card power and resources on their own they cannot be handled by one computer all at once? o_O

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Thanks,
Tim
<SNIP>

Moderators note: removed link
I've seen a commercial product that shares 1 KBD and 1 VGA monitor between two PCs - can't remember what make, but pretty sure there are several that do it.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I've seen a commercial product that shares 1 KBD and 1 VGA monitor between two PCs - can't remember what make, but pretty sure there are several that do it.
Before I had multiple monitors when I needed to work on two computers at once I just used the input select button on the monitor to switch between the two. :rolleyes:

In fact even though now my main PS is setup with dual monitors I still keep lines on them to other inputs just so that if I have to work on another PC for any reason I can plug it into both of them at the same time. ;)

Conjada

Joined Feb 10, 2017
If the computers are all Windows machines, have a look at Input Director. It's a software solution and it's free. I love it.

FWIW, you just swipe your mouse from one monitor to the next (it's seamless) and it switches the keyboard to whichever monitor has the mouse focus.

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Do those functions and individual programs all require so much processor and auxilary audio and video card power and resources on their own they cannot be handled by one computer all at once? o_O
No, but I run one to handle an Automation program that seems a bit jerky and quibbles a bit if anything else is done on the computer. I also do the same thing to handle a separate video channel (currently simulcasts the audio of the main music/spots unit) and just figure keeping it separate keeps down any interaction problems. Plus, when i have issues with the main music one, I can switch over to manual CD machines (which also feeds the console and outputs to the net) and still continue through the video channel. I set out to recreate a "museum" of sorts to gather up the gear in use at the little station I worked at in the 70s, but getting further into it, decided, "why not just go ahead and broadcast, albeit in Net form?" So some of this is recreating the "feel" and motions of that time...I want to set up yet one more computer to play "spots" (commercials) and announcements. There is some cool software out there that has the appearance of the old audio carts (similar to an 8track tape) with "push" buttons too! I'm actually going to wire up the manual switches to trigger it instead of a mouse...

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
If the computers are all Windows machines, have a look at Input Director. It's a software solution and it's free. I love it.

FWIW, you just swipe your mouse from one monitor to the next (it's seamless) and it switches the keyboard to whichever monitor has the mouse focus.
Wow! I will check this one out as well...thanks again to all.