Moving to HTTPS

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
I am beginning the process of moving the site to HTTPS. If all goes well, it should take about half an hour.
If you notice anything wonky with the site - it's likely because I messed up :)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Why? There are no state secrets being discussed here, no ecommerce being done. It just slows the site down. Maybe a couple pages, dealing with passwords... but why the entire site?

Not a criticism (yet) but I am curious.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
So far so good I think - If anyone noticed any pages where the "Secure" text isn't green, could you please paste the URLs in here? It means there is mixed-content, which we want to avoid.

Thanks!

Rob

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Why? There are no state secrets being discussed here, no ecommerce being done. It just slows the site down. Maybe a couple pages, dealing with passwords... but why the entire site?

Not a criticism (yet) but I am curious.
Security. You are sending passwords over the wire. If someone can install a sniffer they can get your password since it is clear text. They can then take over your account. If you use the same password elsewhere they could compromise that site too.

FYI the site appears to be hosed under Fluid. It appears as all text and you can't post. Somehow I was able to change formats. Going through preferences did not work. Please get that working. No rush, But I do hate the big orange. ;)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Fluid is back and working again. Thanks so much for taking care of it so quickly.

Inbox appears to be working now too. Account settings was briefly not working so there was no way to change to fluid ;) but looks like all is good now.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The text on the screen you go to when you hit the reply button is so small I can barely see it. Seems more like a bug than a feature. Your mileage may vary. [choke, puke]

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
The text on the screen you go to when you hit the reply button is so small I can barely see it. Seems more like a bug than a feature. Your mileage may vary. [choke, puke]
It's late and my brain is a bit fried from this change -- does this relate to https?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It's late and my brain is a bit fried from this change -- does this relate to https?
I don't know if it does or not. It didn't behave this way the last time I was on earlier today. You tell me, you're the one in control.

EDIT: I know what is going on. I have to whitelist the use of javascript on the new URL. It was enabled for the http: version of the URL, and now the https: version is also whitelisted. Security can sometimes produce unexpected consequences.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
In IT, any change at all is going to create more problems attributed to the change than is actually caused by the change.

That having been said, is anyone else experiencing having to scroll through an entire thread to get to the first unread post? It seems that whatever method was used to remember the last post read in s thread is no longer working.

I use Safari on an iPhone 6 running iOS 10.1.1 Build 14B100.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hello,

The uploading issue should be resolved. If anyone could confirm, that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
In IT, any change at all is going to create more problems attributed to the change than is actually caused by the change.

That having been said, is anyone else experiencing having to scroll through an entire thread to get to the first unread post? It seems that whatever method was used to remember the last post read in s thread is no longer working.

I use Safari on an iPhone 6 running iOS 10.1.1 Build 14B100.
Fortunately these are small issues that can be fixed. Once they are resolved, we will be better off with this move to HTTPS.

I have not experienced the scrolling issue on Chrome (Desktop).