Moving from normal bulbs to Leds, help needed

nic14

Joined Jan 8, 2014
Hello All,

I am looking for some advice to change the lights I currently have in my garage.
The garage at the moment is fitted with 14 (50W) regular spot light. Those give very poor light
and I believe they do use a lot of energy for the light they produce.

I asked around and I was told to replace those light with “LEDS”
I want to take this a step at the time to make sure I get it correctly so I will probably have many questions.

My garage is 7.3m by 3,7m and I use it also to shoot youtube tutorial videos for my projects,
so some extra light would probably benefit.

Question 1:
Can standard led strips of warm white of 12v be used, the type you can cut every 3 leds or must be a specific types?

Many Thanks for your help

Nic

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm skeptical of getting adequate lighting from LED strips. Is replacing the current spot lights with similar LED bulbs not an option?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello All,

I am looking for some advice to change the lights I currently have in my garage.
The garage at the moment is fitted with 14 (50W) regular spot light. Those give very poor light
and I believe they do use a lot of energy for the light they produce.

I asked around and I was told to replace those light with “LEDS”
I want to take this a step at the time to make sure I get it correctly so I will probably have many questions.

My garage is 7.3m by 3,7m and I use it also to shoot youtube tutorial videos for my projects,
so some extra light would probably benefit.

Question 1:
Can standard led strips of warm white of 12v be used, the type you can cut every 3 leds or must be a specific types?

Many Thanks for your help

Nic
One of the UK DIY outlets is doing a special price on LED GU10s, they work on regular mains and only use about 3 - 4W.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I have used LED replacements for my recessed spotlights and they work well, giving out more light than the supposedly equivalent CFL bulbs.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I have used LED replacements for my recessed spotlights and they work well, giving out more light than the supposedly equivalent CFL bulbs.
LED replacements for regular light bulbs seem to be taking a long time to catch up. I keep looking around various stores and find the biggest equivalency hasn't broken the 60W barrier, and the prices seem to suggest they're not all that eager to sell any!

Another option is LED replacement tubes for strip lighting fittings - but I think you have to rip out the ballast and re-wire the fitting.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
I see you're in the Netherlands? I don't know if the same lights are available near you, but at Costco (a US retailer), LED fixtures that replace standard fluorescent tube lights are readily available, and not too expensive, either. The lights are sufficiently bright that our two-car garage is lit by just 44 watts, total.

Last edited:

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
There is a very big electrical shop in Amsterdam, I don't remember whether it's near the Dam or near the flower market, but they will probably have what you are looking for.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I see you're in the Netherlands? I don't know if the same lights are available near you, but at Costco (a US retailer), LED fixtures that replace standard fluorescent tube lights are readily available, and not too expensive, either. The lights are sufficiently bright that our two-car garage is lit by just 44 watts, total.
They probably have Lidl and Aldi, which I think are both German.

Aldi is some distance from me, so I don't see their offers much, but I've had a LED worklight from Lidl and they have done LED security floodlights in the past.

The problem is; these items aren't regular stock - they release a leaflet every week with the offers on the following Monday and Thursday. If you don't buy while they're in, you have to wait till it comes round again.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In holland we also have large DIY shops like Hornbach, Gamma, Praxis, Karwei and Formido.
All of them have a collection of led lamps and armatures.
I have bought some TL-lookalike lights with leds at Hornbach.

kitchenlights.jpg

Bertus

nic14

Joined Jan 8, 2014
Hello All,
going trough all the replies and checking the various links provided, I have finally made my decision
Now I just need to pick between 2 sizes for which I wanted to ask your feedback.

Type one is 150CM long and 3400lm
https://www.lampdirect.nl/philips-coreline-wt120c-led-3400lm-840-150cm

Type two is 120CM long and 4000lm
https://www.lampdirect.nl/philips-coreline-wt120c-led-4000lm-840-120cm

Putting aside the Consume for a second, which one do you think will illuminate the garage more?

Many Thanks for all your valuable feedback, and I apologize if I went completely the opposite
way of what some suggested :)

Nic

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Hello All,
going trough all the replies and checking the various links provided, I have finally made my decision
Now I just need to pick between 2 sizes for which I wanted to ask your feedback.

Type one is 150CM long and 3400lm
https://www.lampdirect.nl/philips-coreline-wt120c-led-3400lm-840-150cm

Type two is 120CM long and 4000lm
https://www.lampdirect.nl/philips-coreline-wt120c-led-4000lm-840-120cm

Putting aside the Consume for a second, which one do you think will illuminate the garage more?

Many Thanks for all your valuable feedback, and I apologize if I went completely the opposite
way of what some suggested :)

Nic
They are made by the same manufacturer and have identical color temp so I assume the one with the higher lumens rating (your "type 2") would be brighter.