Motorcycle turn signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dx7brian

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Hello everyone*
I have seen similar, but not what I am looking for
I am building a motorcycle Turn signal switch system for my friends bike. He is building it from scratch in a rat rod theme. I'm *fairly handy with my hands and did fairly well in electronics class in school, which was many, many years ago.
So this is my question:
I am using a momentary switch attached the the left handle bar, to activate the left and right turn signals.
Press toggle to left once to activate the left turn signal and once again to the left to cancel it. Same for the right side but by pressing to the right of course.
When the left or right signal is activated and I forget to cancel it, I would like for it to cancel automatically.
It's 12 volts and needs to be small enough to fit under the seat. My method includes 8 relays and 2 diodes but still not sure how to cancel each other out.
I am using aftermarket LED lights which are replacements for the original lights and I will be using a turn signal flasher unit which will be the correct one to use for these LED lights.
I would very much like for everything to be kept fairly small and light as it is for a motorcycle. As I said I have a method but it's very big and bulky and still can't figure out how to cancel each other out.
The switch itself will be on the handle bar and there clearly no room for anything else, so the rest of this turn signal system would have to be places under the seat. I don't think I would need a heat sink, since its not high voltage or constantly powered.
Any ideas or diagrams would be very much appreciated*

Thank you very much for your help

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hello everyone*
I have seen similar, but not what I am looking for
I am building a motorcycle Turn signal switch system for my friends bike. He is building it from scratch in a rat rod theme. I'm *fairly handy with my hands and did fairly well in electronics class in school, which was many, many years ago.
So this is my question:
I am using a momentary switch attached the the left handle bar, to activate the left and right turn signals.
Press toggle to left once to activate the left turn signal and once again to the left to cancel it. Same for the right side but by pressing to the right of course.
When the left or right signal is activated and I forget to cancel it, I would like for it to cancel automatically.
You can use a 555 timer as a one-shot to provide the 12V rail that will last only a specific period of time after which the signals go off. If you use LEDs, you have to use an electronic flasher unit. You can build one using another 555 and a P-FET. Attached is a schematic of the solid state flasher I use on my bike with LED turn signals.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Yes, this is a restricted topic. Sorry, but we can't really help you with this due to our ToS, part of which reads:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
Besides that, we don't know if the motorcycle has an AC or DC electrical system; and yes, there are plenty of motorcycles with AC systems. This is most definitely safety related; if the circuit fails to operate properly, the riders' health and safety may be placed in jeopardy.

There is a list of some member-suggested sites that might entertain discussions on automotive modification related topics, over in the Electronic Resources forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.