MOSFETs Deadtime Definition

Firenze02

Joined Sep 1, 2018
Hi,

I'm building an H bridge power inverter.

I'm going to use SCT3022AL MOSFETs. Please find attached the datasheet.

Taking into account that the current during the turn on can reach 50A and the voltage during the turn off 500V, which value approximately can be useful to set between two mosfets of the same branch?

Thank you.

Attachments

Firenze02

Joined Sep 1, 2018
How long does it take for your Gate Driver circuit to turn OFF the MOSFET that is currently ON?
I cannot measure experimentally this time because I need to design this deadtime circuit in order to work safely.

Anyway, I used the Driver 1EDC60H12AH from Infineon (attached the datasheet).

I would like to work at f=100kHz.

Can you give me advice?

Thank you.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Below is a circuit that generates a non-overlap signal to all four MOSFETs in an H-bridge.
The amount of non-overlap is determined by the RC time-constant at the outputs of U1 and U2.
The CD4049 inverters are connected in parallel to better drive the MOSFET capacitance.
Not sure though, if it would work at 100kHz.
If not, you could use 74HCxx gates which are much faster, but they only work up to about 6V.

upload_2019-5-8_13-13-13.png

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I cannot measure experimentally this time because I need to design this deadtime circuit in order to work safely.

Anyway, I used the Driver 1EDC60H12AH from Infineon (attached the datasheet).

I would like to work at f=100kHz.

Can you give me advice?

Thank you.
When I simulate it the worst seems to be turn off time at low current.
upload_2019-5-8_21-9-34.png

They always seem to be slower in real life than in the simulations, so I would start wit about 1 usec.. Then once you get it running you can shorten it up.