MOSFET driver and high and low switches?

Fahad Fahad

Joined Mar 29, 2019
Hello,

I really want to understand the concept of some configurations and techniques used between drivers and mosfets. As you see in picture 1, for both outputs of low and high side from the driver, there is a voltage divider where one resistor is parallel with a diode. I assume this configuration or step up is for sink and source current that is also related to duty cycle, switching frequency, gate capacitance and other parameters that I really don't know about. Is this setup has to do with the rating of sin/source current of the driver? This is the first point. The second point is bootstrap capacitor and diode calauctions. I know its purpose is to switch on the high side switch. However, I know this is heavily depend specifically on the duty cycle and maybe other parameters.

What I want if anyone please maybe provide me a link that describe these topics and how are related to each other or maybel an explanation, which I really appreciate :)

He also paraelled the bootstrap capacitor with a ceramic one, which is a mystery to me.
Picture source:
https://microcontrollerslab.com/use-mosfet-driver-1r2110/

Attachments

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Q1 has to have its Gate referenced to ground (R4). As drawn, once Q1 conducts, the gate will be at the same level as the output and stop conducting. Also, N channel devices should only be used on the "ground side" of a circuit, and P channel devices are "high side" devices.
The circuit may work for high voltages, but you still need to hold the gate of Q1 higher than the output voltage.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
N channel devices should only be used on the "ground side" of a circuit, and P channel devices are "high side" devices.
Not true. This is what the gate driver is for. To provide the necessary voltage to the high side mosfet/switch. It is true though when not using a high side driver. The original question was about mosfet drivers and so was the schematic shown.