More Travel Flight Questions

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi there,

To start, when i was at Newark airport (EWR) last week i saw many 120vac outlets around the gate waiting areas.
But i also saw those little credit card swipe things sticking up where you swipe your card to pay for something, and they were close to the outlets.

So the first question is, do you have to pay to charge your phone using one of those outlets?

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Hi there,

To start, when i was at Newark airport (EWR) last week i saw many 120vac outlets around the gate waiting areas.
But i also saw those little credit card swipe things sticking up where you swipe your card to pay for something, and they were close to the outlets.

So the first question is, do you have to pay to charge your phone using one of those outlets?
Why did'nt you try it out? :D:D:D

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi there,

I’ve yet to see these.

Wouldn’t be surprised. There’s a huge demand for outlets in an airport. While the airport may not be willing to pay for adding more outlets, there is an opportunity for an entrepreneur. Because of the demand, travelers may be willing to pay, what normally be an exorbitant amount, a usage fee. Enough to pay for any kiosks, et.al.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Different airports are very different in what is available free. Some have plenty of outlets and good WiFi while others try to make a buck off these. I suspect the card swipes may have been for WiFi access rather than power, but charging a fee for power wouldn’t surprise me.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Why did'nt you try it out? :D:D:D
Hi,

Well i am very cautious. I did not want to experiment with the only phone i had facing a 3000 mile trip there and another 3000 back.
But now that you mention it, i could have asked someone while i was there. Didnt think of that for some reason maybe because i felt so out of place for a while.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
They're for ordering and paying for food and drink. You order at an iPad, swipe your card, and someone brings you your food.

Hi,

Yeah, that looks almost the same as at Newark EWR airport.
I ordered a beer on one of those things. One Heiniken bottle cost me 10 bucks.
So i guess we dont pay for the outlet then for charging.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi,

That’s a good deal for a beer. At a sporting event in Boston, you’re likely to pay $15 or more for one beer.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hi,

That photo was from an article about the upgrades at EWR (hence the $10 beers), so it probably is in fact what you saw there.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Dream on!
Easy! Boston sports fans are living the dream! Highlighted by the longest NFL dynasty in sports history, the only city to have at least two championships in one year twice! The most championships overall in any city in the US... Don’t wanna brag, so I won’t continue :rolleyes:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Easy! Boston sports fans are living the dream! Highlighted by the longest NFL dynasty in sports history, the only city to have at least two championships in one year twice! The most championships overall in any city in the US... Don’t wanna brag, so I won’t continue :rolleyes:
C’mon back when you have a team that’s lost for 108 straight years and then wins the World Series. ;)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Ok next question.

You know those ring holders for cell phones? They somehow stick on the back of the phone and the ring sticks out from the back so you can put your finger through it and so it makes it harder for the phone to slip out of your hand.

Anyone try one?