More than 800 "guests"?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Is that number right? 40 members and more than 800 guests? That seems hard to believe. That would mean our posts are constantly being examined by several lurkers! Maybe I need my expectations adjusted.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I typically see several hundred (400 to 700) non-robot guests at any given time and a few dozen members.

Some of those guests are probably members that are just reading and haven't logged in because they aren't posting. When I'm at a library or someplace I often do that and only log in when I need to.

But I think we get a lot of visitors that are directed here by a search engine and I suspect that a lot of them are only here for a minute or so. It would be interesting to know how many people are actually online at a given time. But even that is misleading because I often have a browser tab (or several) that are open to AAC and I don't know how that gets counted -- perhaps it only counts people that have an active transaction with the server in the last thirty minutes.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello,

There will also be "robots" among the guests.
This page has some tabs where you can separate the members guests and robots:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/online/

Bertus

PS the numbers shown are within 30 minutes.
So, robots are kept as a separate category on the AAC/online page but combined with guests on the home page?
Why not show robots as a separate category on the home page?

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
So, robots are kept as a separate category on the AAC/online page but combined with guests on the home page?
Why not show robots as a separate category on the home page?
I second this suggestion. I noticed that the Electro-Tech-Online.com forum, which also uses XenForo, does this in the list of "Members Online Now". To me the number of guests is fairly meaningless if it includes an unknown number of robots.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I second this suggestion. I noticed that the Electro-Tech-Online.com forum, which also uses XenForo, does this in the list of "Members Online Now". To me the number of guests is fairly meaningless if it includes an unknown number of robots.
Few people care and the information on the forums home page should represent the information that the most people care about -- which of course is always open to debate. You can get the number of robots with a single click on the "Members Online Now" title just above it. You can also figure that, at any given time, there will be 50 to 60 robots, give or take, totaling to somewhere in the vicinity of about 10% of the number of visitors most of the time.

Brevor

Joined Apr 9, 2011
I have always had a problem with trophy points for the number of posts. This is because I see people that have them, but if you look all of there posts have been requests for help and not a single post helping someone else.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
When I was a kid, I dreamed that one day I could know everything...

Trophy points, number of posts, "likes", appreciation and so on... I do not care. I still recall my surprise when in another forum somebody congratulated me because of my 1000 post there. Why not congratulate me for my half a million of sea miles in 17 years at sea?! Ridiculous!

Many many years ago somebody said I was quite high in the rank of the Microchip forum. I then realized that it simply was because they were taking into account the times you visited the forum. Just that!

What makes me to respect someone is the way he interacts with you and others and the quality of help he provides, even if he's not the most knowledgeable. Good manners and language I (non-native) can understand, are a plus.

But, that is me.

And, at the end of the journey, gentlemen, just ashes...

And then the wind.

But, again, that is me.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Presumably rather pleasant in Buenos Aires.
The bad one is when coming from SE (sudestada) which in the past used to cause severe floodings but basically under control now. Otherwise, weather is reasonably good.

The city's original name was Santa María de los Buenos Ayres (for the Virgin considered protector of the Spanish navigators). Please note that in old Spanish "buenos ayres" meant "good winds" or "fair winds". Nowadays, we simply replenish bunkers and sail. :( Such is life.