More relativiy thought experiments

Status
Not open for further replies.
One last thing...if such craft were traveling at .32 feet per second squared...which is 3.84 INCHES PER SECOND SQUARED to achieve .01-G Constant Acceleration...do the math!

Just how long would it take to achieve a velocity of .9999c?

Split Infinity

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The Human Body will degenerate in many ways most in relation to Blood Circulation if a person was in a Space Craft that exceeded .01 G-Force as a CONSTANT.
So just how would you determine the difference between sitting in a 1G gravitational field and sitting in a space ship accelerating at a constant 1G in the same direction?

...you decided to reply IN A NEGATIVE MANNER...that was targeted at the person who posted...ie...ME...as you were licking your chops thinking to yourself..."AH HA! Split Infinity has made a MISTAKE and this is my chance to show the Membership what a FOOL Split Infinity is!...AAAAHA HA HA!!!"
Nope. That task has been accomplished many times over by you yourself.

So just how would you determine the difference between sitting in a 1G gravitational field and sitting in a space ship accelerating at a constant 1G in the same direction?

Nope. That task has been accomplished many times over by you yourself.
The Human Body is adversely effected when G-Forces are presented in a Linear fashion as well as Angular G-Forces and others.

Our bodies are evolved to function with Gravity effecting it from a top down fashion. Even the act of a person hanging upside down will KILL that person in a relatively short time if the person was unable to move from that position.

Now Linear G-Force is caused by acceleration in a straight line horizontally from a standing or sitting upright position. If the Linear G-Force is at .02-G...for multiple days...the person will die.

Even if these craft had artificial gravity allowing a person to stand or walk under 1-G...the Linear G-Forces over .01-G will eventually kill that person.

Your last statement in your reply above shows me that I will have a difficult time trying to convince you that your previous negative reply to me is being driven by your need to...Get Back at me...for whatever reason.

If I post something that you disagree with...by all means...disagree and tell me and everyone here why you disagree.

But why would you resort to such a senseless and seemingly vicious character attack? Why would you feel the need to do so even though by doing so you made yourself look foolish as your perceived flaws in my post neither apply to my post and it is a certainty that you will neither attempt to prove my post flawed...but rather just make cat calls and snide remarks...as you would not be able to find flaws in my post.

If you can...by all means...show me and everyone else how smart you are or how right you are...and just do it! Don't just TALK about doing it.

Split Infinity

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010

Now Linear G-Force is caused by acceleration in a straight line horizontally from a standing or sitting upright position. If the Linear G-Force is at .02-G...for multiple days...the person will die.

Even if these craft had artificial gravity allowing a person to stand or walk under 1-G...the Linear G-Forces over .01-G will eventually kill that person.

Your last statement in your reply above shows me that I will have a difficult time trying to convince you that your previous negative reply to me is being driven by your need to...Get Back at me...for whatever reason....

Split Infinity

Thank god those airplane trips I took last year were only 16 hours long...anymore and I might have died!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I am not sure where you are getting your facts, but the core assumption Einstein made for his early work is that acceleration and gravitational fields can not be told apart to someone who is in a booth (in other words, isolated from their environment). The difference between them is none as measured mathematically or with instrumentation. Again, sources.

Even rotational forces can be used to generate decent pseudo gravity, though they can be told apart and measured.

I got his from a book I read several decades ago, "The Universe and Dr. Einstein".

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The Human Body is adversely effected when G-Forces are presented in a Linear fashion as well as Angular G-Forces and others.

Our bodies are evolved to function with Gravity effecting it from a top down fashion. Even the act of a person hanging upside down will KILL that person in a relatively short time if the person was unable to move from that position.

Your last statement in your reply above shows me that I will have a difficult time trying to convince you that your previous negative reply to me is being driven by your need to...Get Back at me...for whatever reason.

If I post something that you disagree with...by all means...disagree and tell me and everyone here why you disagree.

But why would you resort to such a senseless and seemingly vicious character attack? Why would you feel the need to do so even though by doing so you made yourself look foolish as your perceived flaws in my post neither apply to my post and it is a certainty that you will neither attempt to prove my post flawed...but rather just make cat calls and snide remarks...as you would not be able to find flaws in my post.

If you can...by all means...show me and everyone else how smart you are or how right you are...and just do it! Don't just TALK about doing it.

Split Infinity
I will ask you again to enlighten us with your brillance. If you are in a room sitting in a chair, how would you determine whether the room is stationary on the surface of a planet (let's say a non-rotating planet) or in a spaceship that is accelerating "upward" (from your perspective sitting in the chair) at 1G?

I maintain that you can't. That a uniform gravitational field is indistinguishable from a uniformly accelerating reference frame. More specifically, I maintain that any test you devise that does not require access to anything or any information outside of that room will produce identical results in either case. All you have to do is describe one measurement that would allow you to determine which situation you would be in.

And, sorry, saying that if you started getting sick after a day or so you would know won't cut it.

If you can do that, I willl personally write the nomination letter to the Nobel committee on your behalf.

I will ask you again to enlighten us with your brillance. If you are in a room sitting in a chair, how would you determine whether the room is stationary on the surface of a planet (let's say a non-rotating planet) or in a spaceship that is accelerating "upward" (from your perspective sitting in the chair) at 1G?

I maintain that you can't. That a uniform gravitational field is indistinguishable from a uniformly accelerating reference frame. More specifically, I maintain that any test you devise that does not require access to anything or any information outside of that room will produce identical results in either case. All you have to do is describe one measurement that would allow you to determine which situation you would be in.

And, sorry, saying that if you started getting sick after a day or so you would know won't cut it.

If you can do that, I willl personally write the nomination letter to the Nobel committee on your behalf.
Your JOKING about asking me this question...RIGHT?

Sitting on that chair if it was on the Planet and the chairs four legs were on the ground...and not like how Astronauts are placed sitting in the shuttles chairs in which the astronauts are basically laying on their backs...but there you are sitting in that chair looking at say the planets horizon....

....you stated that you are being Gravitationally effected sitting in that chair at ONE Earth-G...and how could I tell the difference if I was instead sitting in a space craft in the same manner except the craft was accelerating off the planet upward at One Earth-G.

Well as long as this planet is Earth...since...Accelerating at 1-G would mean the crafts velocity was accelerating at a rate that my body was always being effected at One-G...would mean the CRAFT IS NOT MOVING!

Your LOGIC IS FLAWED. It is NOT POSSIBLE to accelerate from a sitting position in a craft at One-G where the Planets Gravitational Effect is the same.

You would be going...NOWHERE!

Split Infinity

I am not sure where you are getting your facts, but the core assumption Einstein made for his early work is that acceleration and gravitational fields can not be told apart to someone who is in a booth (in other words, isolated from their environment). The difference between them is none as measured mathematically or with instrumentation. Again, sources.

Even rotational forces can be used to generate decent pseudo gravity, though they can be told apart and measured.

I got his from a book I read several decades ago, "The Universe and Dr. Einstein".
Bill...the difference pertains to the Angle or even changing angle of G-Force.

If I were in space accelerating at a Vertical G-Force or Effect was like on Earth as to Gravity...and my space craft was accelerating at a constant 1-G...then I would not be able to tell if I was on Earth or in the craft.

But if my craft was accelerating at 1-G in a Linear Path and the craft had artificial gravity...I could tell and feel the Horizontal Linear G-Force.

Split Infinity

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I am afraid you're the one whose logic is flawed. 32 ft/sec² is same whether it is a gravitational pull or acceleration, the number is identical, as is the units of measurement. Both are linear forces on the small scale compared to a planet curvature vs acceleration. It is low gravity (or no gravity) that is harmful to the human physiology, causing osteoporosis and other problems long term, but not fatality. I have followed NASA briefs over the decades with interest, there is a lot of research on the subjects.

With centrifugal acceleration the Coriolis Force is what give it away, but it has been used successfully on the long term, and will be used on space missions to combat the long term effects of low gravity.

This is one of those cases you have imprinted on a piece of flawed information, and seem to be willing to defend it to the death. You are in a nest of geeks, from doctorates down to people who have a love of all things science, and frankly you are not looking too knowledgeable at the moment.

I started reading SciFi at age 8, and haven't stopped, I had this down at age 10. I am gathering you are not into SciFi, my big three authors growing up are Heinlein, Clark, and Asimov. The current crop, such as Dave Weber, John Ringo, and a few others are keeping up the tradition.

I have been to college, complete with physics teachers (you are arguing with at least 2 professors BTW).

We are done here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.