More quiet 12 volt motor?

wrybread

Joined Jul 3, 2005
I'm trying to rotate a platform using a 12 volt motor connected directly to a solar panel. I picked up this motor from Amazon, which is perfect except for one big issue: it's super noisy. It's almost as loud as a drill.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0925QFQCF

"PLUMIA DC 12V 10RPM Gear Motor Centric Output Shaft 37mm Diameter Gearbox High Torque Electric Micro Speed Reduction Geared Motor"

You can see and hear it in action here:

I don't imagine anyone has any suggestions for a more quiet 12v motor, that's somewhere in the speed range of 5 to 10 RPM and doesn't require a controller?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
it's super noisy. It's almost as loud as a drill.
I don't imagine anyone has any suggestions for a more quiet 12v motor, that's somewhere in the speed range of 5 to 10 RPM and doesn't require a controller?
That appears to be a planetary type, the high quality ones are usually very quiet
But the worm and pinion one prevents any back-feeding though..

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
it's super noisy.
Did you post the correct video? You must have very sensitive hearing if that is what is called "very noisy". If you mean it is making a noise in the house when working, that may be from the vibrations amplifying, like how an acoustic guitar works. The vibrations from the strings are amplified by the guitar top and sound chamber. How is this mounted? Do you have rubber sound/vibration isolators between the motor and roof? Something like these -
https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/mech/M1300000000/M1301000000/M1301020000/

wrybread

Joined Jul 3, 2005
@AlbertHall:

So you think it's a 6mm diameter shaft? The ad copy says "Shaft Size: 6 x 10mm (D-Cut 9mm)". I can't tell if that means it's 6mm wide or 10mm wide.

@shortbus: "noisy" is relative of course, but it's about as loud as a drill motor going the same speed. And my mounting doesn't help but the motor is too noisy for my purposes even when I'm holding it in my hand. This is a sort of art project turning in a corner of our yard whenever the sun is up so I'm shooting for silent, which I hope that Joytech motor is. Otherwise my girlfriend will declare the "art" not worth the noise, ha.

Incidentally here's what it looks like when the sun sets. At that point, with the sun low, it's plenty quiet, so this doesn't show the problem, it just shows the project (and the wooden platform and the thing spinning are both non permanent):

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
@AlbertHall:

So you think it's a 6mm diameter shaft? The ad copy says "Shaft Size: 6 x 10mm (D-Cut 9mm)". I can't tell if that means it's 6mm wide or 10mm wide.
I have a motor which looks just like that one (though I have mo idea whether it is the same) and it has a 6mm shaft.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
That motor is likely way more powerful than you need. A less powerful motor could be a lot quieter.

Tell us about your rotating platform, size, weight?

Bob

wrybread

Joined Jul 3, 2005
The torque on that motor is pretty much perfect. It has to be strong enough to continue turning the platform even with the sun low, so it can dramatically stop at sunset, which this motor does.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Here is the motor I used for a music box prop, which rotated a cylinder containing the battery, the motor itself and a pc board (inside the box) and standing on top, a Barbie doll. It runs off a 3.7V Lithium battery and rotates at 30 RPM.

For you Brits, if you don't know, a U.S. quarter is about 23 mm in diameter.

Edited: It is pretty much noiseless when inside the box, and only a whisper when out,

1622829042275.png

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
And my mounting doesn't help but the motor is too noisy for my purposes even when I'm holding it in my hand. This is a sort of art project turning in a corner of our yard whenever the sun is up so I'm shooting for silent,
Being in the outdoors aren't you going to build an enclosure around it? Adding a layer of polystyrene insulation to the inside of an enclosure will stop much of the slight noise that motor makes. I mean it didn't even drown out the bird chirps in the video.