More Powerfull than a 775 dc motor

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
Can anybody suggest a more powerful dc motor please. Dc is preferable but will consider Ac. I would like to build a mini wood lathe and circular saw. Currently I'm using a 775 dc motor and it just does not have the "ooooomph". Perhaps I'm doing something wrong as well so any pointers will be appreciated. This is a link to the speed controller I;m using.Thanks everybody. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...+Motor+Speed+Control+Switch+Governor&_sacat=0

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Sorry, here is a link to the 775 dc motor on Ebay.
Your "here" is not active. This is from an eBay listing:
upload_2018-11-27_5-57-32.png

It has, according to eBay, "high torque." Its VxA is only 3.8 (i.e., W). 150W @ 12V = 12.5A ! Is that 0.32 A idle (no load) current? What's its full load current?

Getting back to your description, what size wood lathe are you planning? What will be the largest diameter piece that you need to turn? What size saw? What will be its largest blade?

I would consider a motor with lower RPM, which will simplify the belt/gear reduction design. You need a real power rating. A real 1/8 HP (746 W = 1 HP) motor might work. I would prefer 1/4 HP (186 W) for a small machine. For the saw, you might need more power or use a very small (e.g., 3") blade.

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
Your "here" is not active. This is from an eBay listing:
View attachment 164511

It has, according to eBay, "high torque." Its VxA is only 3.8 (i.e., W). 150W @ 12V = 12.5A ! Is that 0.32 A idle (no load) current? What's its full load current?

Getting back to your description, what size wood lathe are you planning? What will be the largest diameter piece that you need to turn? What size saw? What will be its largest blade?

I would consider a motor with lower RPM, which will simplify the belt/gear reduction design. You need a real power rating. A real 1/8 HP (746 W = 1 HP) motor might work. I would prefer 1/4 HP (186 W) for a small machine. For the saw, you might need more power or use a very small (e.g., 3") blade.
Thanks for that. Its only a small wood lathe. Biggest diameter wood would be maybe 3cm. As for the saw I need to cut up to 10mm light ply/birchwood. Thanks for your info so far.