Monostable 555

stevezila

Joined Dec 19, 2008
Can anyone tell me hoe to get a 555 to time out after the imput signal train stops. Currently I have a 555 configured as a one shot which works great except for the fact that it starts timing at the first toggle of the input. What I need is for it to start timing when the input stops toggling. What I mean is that as long as I continue to get an input the timer will be constantly resetting until the input stops and then the timer will time out. I'm using it for a occupency sensor so as long as I detect movement I want to stay on and when I no longer detect movement it will then time out and shut off. Any suggestions are appreaciated. Thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, when the input toggles, guess what - the timer has to start timing out from there!

Otherwise, how are you going to recognize when the input stops toggling?

stevezila

Joined Dec 19, 2008
Yes I relize that but how can I get it keep resetting and timing each time I get a new pulse so that it will time out after last pulse?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Why don't you post your circuit as it is now. Use the "Go Advanced" then "Manage Attachments" buttons to attach an image of your circuit. .PNG format images are preferred, as they are compact, not "lossy" like .jpg format, and you don't need any software to view them.

Then explain how long you would like for it to take for the monostable to time out after receiving a pulse.