Modifying Tufting Gun, adding a variable speed control

asimonelli10

Joined Jan 25, 2023
Hello everyone!

My girlfriend has a tufting gun (see pic below), and I would like to modify it. For those that don't know, a tufting gun is used to make rugs, there is a needle that punches through a cloth, pulls the yarn to the other side, cuts it, and then the needle retracts, and the cycle is repeated.

What we want to do is make the needle go slower so that we can have more control and improve accuracy.

Below is a picture of the gun. The red button is a simple on-off trigger. At the bottom, next to the power cable, there is a potentiometer (B50K) that can be used to adjust the speed.
tufting gun.jpghandle.jpg

On the lowest setting of the potentiometer, the gun still goes too fast.
My question is, can I change the potentiometer to one that has a slightly lower/higher range to make the gun run even slower?

Let me know if you need any additional info :)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The bottom of the handle beside the power cord there looks to be a potentiometer. What does that potentiometer adjust? My read is it adjust the knitting speed? The pot I mentioned:
This rug machine gun can reach a speed of 5-40stitches per second, a no-load speed of 10000r/min, and an increase in work efficiency of 80-100times. Whether you are a beginner or a professional, the adjustable speed cut pile tufting gun will help you to make your carpets quickly and easily.
So you want to further slow it down? This is what I am seeing.

Knitting Machine.png

Ron

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
My step grandmother tuffted rugs so know what your doing. Is this gun a motorized thing or does it use a solenoid to push the tuft? Can you provide a link or name/model of the gun?

Edit I see by opening the photo in a new page it is motorized. So a new question is it mains powered or is it powered by a low voltage power supply?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Rather than modify the gun itself, I suggest using an external speed controller box, or an external transformer to reduce the mains voltage. The totally huge advantage is that if the tufting gun fails it will not be from having opened it up and changed something.
In the picture it looks like a DC brushed motor, and thus not directly mains powered. And given that we have no actual information about the motor or the current, adjusting the supply voltage externally is the safest approach.