Modifying Engine Computer for External "Smart" Ignition Coils

SliM3

Joined Sep 30, 2016
Hello all:

I have an '06 BMW M3 and am trying to run smart coils from the engine computer, which was originally set-up with embedded IGBT's. Basically I removed all 6 IGBT's from the board and ran the smart coils corresponding 5v and logic ground wires to the base and emitter pads. The primary coil grounds are batched together and run to a common ground stud in the engine compartment. I also jumped all the collector pads to the common coil ground source as well. My intention was to try and fool the DME into thinking it's still running the stock set-up, but have been unable to get a clean start. I'll get an occasional "bump" when starting, but no sustained run.

I also hooked up my multimeter to the 5v signal and a common ground to see what the trigger voltage was, and I read between -0.92V to -11.28V. Needless to say my basic thinking is not enough to get my set-up running, so I'm seeking some guidance on how I could possibly get this to work? Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
And what do you expect to gain from running a smart coil Vs the stock one?

Until now I have never heard of a smart coil.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Wouldn't yous till need the IGBT's of the ECM to switch the coils on and off in the correct sequence? Don't most ECM's work as a low side switch?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
From what I can see from a bit of online reading is the smart coils use the stock ignition drive output of the MCU to trigger them so removing the stock MCU based IGBT devices serves no purpose. If anything it may be now either inverting the output signal or more than likely sending a 12 volt feed back from the Smart coils directly to your 5 volt logic drive since the stock system used a current sinking ignition coil drive system which is what the Smart coils are designed to work with.

Seems like a purposeless and possibly MCU destroying mod to do.

That and at $100+ a coil that's a pretty expensive mod to do unless there's a Nitrous system or other higher level engine mods in play that actually require the high output CDI power at the spark plugs.

SliM3

Joined Sep 30, 2016
Hey all, thanks for the replies and my apologies for not responding quicker.

As for the "smart" coil analogy, it basically refers to ignition coils that have the transistors built-in. The engine has gone through an extensive rebuild, with the purpose of forced induction, hence the selection of a high power ignition system. The coils I'm trying to install have near CDI type output under the right dwell condition, so a huge jump in mJ output compared to the pencils. I also have a full complement of internal engine coatings, including thermal barriers on the pistons, combustion chambers, valves, ports, etc. Therefore I want to take advantage of running best rich torque AFR's while ensuring a complete burn and low HC emissions output.

This has never been accomplished on the stock BMW DME, so this was also a bit of challenge to myself in trying to get them to work. We've made tremendous strides over on the ///M forums, backwards engineering our DME's and have full tuning capabilities now, which was once only reserved for the specialized tuners.

So far I have not destroyed the DME, though I do have three of them laying around.

Last edited:

jasone

Joined Nov 2, 2015
Do you have a link to your ignition coils? I am familiar with how Toyota and a few other brands controls there coils. Coil has 12V, ground, a 5V command, and a 5V confirm circuit correct?

Last edited:

jasone

Joined Nov 2, 2015
This is your current setup before the mods correct? I am not a BMW tech but I do work on cars everyday. Only thing I can think to compare you smart coils to is the Toyota style I have a few scope pictures and other info that sounds similar to what you have going on. I can post that info if you'd like.

Attachments

jasone

Joined Nov 2, 2015

I cannot find a known good scope pattern on an m3 but I did find one on a 330i. It has the multi spark at low RPMs. Could this be effecting your coils output if the M3 uses the same control? Is it possible your new coil cannot "keep up"? I can only think of simple (dumb) 2 wire coils that run the multi spark control.

...........Its a slow day at work and I have nothing better to do.

Attachments

3immer

Joined Dec 29, 2016
Any developments? I'm in the exact situation, I'd like to convert the BMW computer to run smart coils with integrated ignitors natively, the computer has access to all dwell tables. On other cars it is as easy as bypassing the ignitor module but BMW drives it from transistors on the board. Is it possible to bypass the ignitors on the smart coil and run them as "dumb" coils?