Modifying a Motion Sensor with Fixed Time

Mywk

Joined May 10, 2018
Hello everyone,

Just joined this forum after years of lurking for answers :oops: (Clearly ashamed of admitting this but would like to thank you all for the very entertaining discussions all around here).

I'm a hobbyist in electronics so I'll start by saying that I have limited knowledge in electronics! I checked this topic before asking my question but as I couldn't get a completely understand how to do this I will ask how should I modify my circuit in order to make my light not automatically shut down after some mere 5 seconds.

I couldn't find the part number of that 16-pin IC so I'm somewhat lost on how to debug this circuit in order to increase those more 5 seconds to something like 30!

Attached to this post is a picture of the circuits PCB, it takes 240V and outputs directly to a led panel, the PIR sensor is a S305A-P

Thanks in advance!!

20180510_134723.jpg
20180510_134727.jpg

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I don't have a solution for you, so I will not be offended if you don't respond to my question....but here goes.

You seem like you are very reasonable. You took the time and effort to read an old post related to what you want to do and that is so much more than so many others do. You readily admit your limited electronic knowledge. Everything about your post is in a civil "tone".

You have appropriately stated that the unit is powered off of the mains. You do not have a schematic. You have not identified the board (you may not be able to) and you can't see an identification on the 16-pin chip.

My question is: Do you think it is risky (as in a safety risk) to attempt modification to the circuit? Any response, not just a Yes/No is welcome. Some ideas about general safety came up in another thread and I am hoping that your response will help me understand how different people perceive "risk".

Mywk

Joined May 10, 2018
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I don't have a solution for you, so I will not be offended if you don't respond to my question....but here goes.

You seem like you are very reasonable. You took the time and effort to read an old post related to what you want to do and that is so much more than so many others do. You readily admit your limited electronic knowledge. Everything about your post is in a civil "tone".

You have appropriately stated that the unit is powered off of the mains. You do not have a schematic. You have not identified the board (you may not be able to) and you can't see an identification on the 16-pin chip.

My question is: Do you think it is risky (as in a safety risk) to attempt modification to the circuit? Any response, not just a Yes/No is welcome. Some ideas about general safety came up in another thread and I am hoping that your response will help me understand how different people perceive "risk".
Hey there and thanks for the welcome, after re-reading my somewhat poorly constructed first post I definitively get your point!

Trying to elaborate a bit better my current knowledge on electronics related stuff: I can understand very simple circuits and regularly play around with basic electronics, mostly stuff related to Arduino, PIC32 and STM chips but my understanding is mainly from the software perspective, reading diagrams and replicating schematics is usually no problem and I'm always extremely careful in what concerns to safety (definitively even more when the circuit is directly connected to the mains).

Simply put, the problem I have with this circuit is that the 16-pin IC is not labeled at all and that I couldn't find the schematics for this circuit anywhere, therefore instead of assuming the IC is an HS0001 like in the other thread I considered it would be better to ask here as you guys (and girls) have for sure a better understanding on this manner, plus I get to learn a bit more by asking than to somehow either burn the circuit or magically make it work and never find out the why!

Thanks for your response.

My question really was straightforward and not a comment on the construction of your request. In a sense, you did answer it though and I appreciate that.

Alas, I also meant it when I said that I don't have a solution, I get what you are trying to do and the approach. If it was documented like something similar to this: https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/pir-passive-infrared-proximity-motion-sensor.pdf it would be a different story. But even assuming that the 16-pin chip is the decoder BIS0001 (or similar) is questionable and I don't know, off the top of my head, how you might verify it just to be able to proceed.

I did pull up a copy of the datasheet for the sensor http://www.sensorcn.cn/upfiles/file/S305A-P.pdf . I suppose it might be possible to intercept the output at the sensor with your own pulse-stretcher circuit. Probably a silly approach. I have a few PIR sensors but have only played around with them a bit.

Hopefully, someone else with more knowledge will come along.

Mywk

Joined May 10, 2018
After a bit of troubleshooting and playing around with the IC it seems that it is indeed a weird variation of the HS0001 IC so the problem was solved by changing the original 2K resistor on the 16-PIN IC pin 3 (R10) to 250K. Doing this increased the time from 5 to 30 seconds.

@Raymond Genovese To find out if the IC was similar I checked each of the IC pins and compared it to the expected output from the HS0001 datasheet, which proved to be true, I guess I was lucky on this one!

Thanks once again and I hope this ends up helping someone in the future!