modify 555 one shot monostable multivibrator circuit

steven334

Joined Aug 9, 2011
I would like to modify this 555 one shot monostable multivibrator.
The circuit I built will buzz for about 5 second when the switch is pressed and released, and it will buzz continually if the switch is not released.

I want to modify the circuit so that it will not buzz for more than 5 seconds.
I can change my switch to a normal closed switch if that will help.

My project is to sound a short alert when a door is opened up and then to be silent until the door is closed and reopened.

Thank you
steven

Attachments

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Connect a resistor (a few tens of kilohms, not critical) from the trigger pin to the positive supply rail, and connect a capacitor of 0.1uF from the trigger pin to the output of your timer.

When the timer goes low, the negative-going edge will appear at the other side of the capacitor, which will then charge back up to the value of the supply rail.

It will stay at that potential until another negative transition arrives at your timer side of the Cap.

steven334

Joined Aug 9, 2011
I'm not sure if i understand values on C1 and C3 capacitors. Is nF nano Farad. I just see uF micro Farad in my radio shack store.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I'm not sure if i understand values on C1 and C3 capacitors. Is nF nano Farad. I just see uF micro Farad in my radio shack store.
Yes, "nF" means nano Farad. uF would not be appropriate. The most common capacitor values go from pF to uF, so they should have those.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
It runs erratic , a small shake can trigger the buzzer
What do you mean with "a small shake". The normal switch bouncing is no problem, since the bouncing time is much smaller than the monostable time, so even if it retriggers the 555 it would still give you 5 seconds.

Do you mean, that the door switch might close (through shaking) even if the door is closed? What switch is this?

edit:Unless you mean the moment when the door was open and closes again... in that situation the 555 should not trigger. . so I guess you need to debounce the switch.