MK105 change frequency

Hvacguy

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Greetings all.
I am a mechanical contractor that has some input on newer technologies, I am more of a mechanic than an engineer. I am looking to make a tone generator in the 1.5-6ghz spectrum. I have spent the last two days googling and looking around. The guys at frys(local electronics store) were no help. I’ve got a kit velleman mk105. I’m wondering if there is a 8 pin chip I can just replace on the build to get me into the range I want. They don’t just have those high range oscillators so it looks like I need a vcc. But those chips are all like another language to me. Any input would be great. Google isn’t as helpful as it used to be. Mostly ads.

The chip now is the 555 chip everyone uses

Last edited by a moderator:

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
A signal generator for between 1.5 GHz and 8 GHz will be nothing like the Mk105 audio signal generator. It is much too difficult a project for a beginner. Is this for some kind of wideband microwave jamming device ? If it is for a jamming device that is a topic that is not allowed on this forum.

Les.

Hvacguy

Joined Jan 27, 2019
A signal generator for between 1.5 GHz and 8 GHz will be nothing like the Mk105 audio signal generator. It is much too difficult a project for a beginner. Is this for some kind of wideband microwave jamming device ? If it is for a jamming device that is a topic that is not allowed on this forum.

Les.
Not trying to jam anything up. I want to put it through a loop. I just want tighter waves. There can be noise.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Greetings all.
I am a mechanical contractor that has some input on newer technologies, I am more of a mechanic than an engineer. I am looking to make a tone generator in the 1.5-6ghz spectrum. I have spent the last two days googling and looking around. The guys at frys(local electronics store) were no help. I’ve got a kit velleman mk105. I’m wondering if there is a 8 pin chip I can just replace on the build to get me into the range I want. They don’t just have those high range oscillators so it looks like I need a vcc. But those chips are all like another language to me. Any input would be great. Google isn’t as helpful as it used to be. Mostly ads.
1.5 to 6 GHz. in more recognizable units is 1.5 to 6 Billion cycles per second or stated another way has a wavelength of 50 - 200 mm. In order to get such a thing working you will need EDA tools and test equipment that will cost more than a medium sized house. I'm talking in terms of at least a half a million dollars. This Ultra High Frequency stuff is only for those that can afford to pay the freight. It is definitely not for amateurs.

Hvacguy

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I don’t need that entire spectrum. I just need one consistent hz in that range. Whatever’s easiest I guess.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What are you hoping to do with a 1.5 - 6GHz signal generator?
Could he possibly mean that frequency for a tone generator?
1.6 to 6 kHz. might be a reasonable range for a tone generator. At least it is in the audio spectrum as opposed to the UHF spectrum

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The NE555 is not suitable for your request.
The maximum frequency is just above 500 kHz.
The cmos version LMC555 might reach 3 MHz.

The highest frequency module I know is the POS-2120W+ from minicircuits.
It has a range of 1060 to 2120 Mhz.
See this page for more models:
https://ww2.minicircuits.com/WebStore/Oscillators.html
Higher frequencies are only available in surfacemount.

Bertus

Attachments

Hvacguy

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I’m looking to play with waves at low amperage at 3-8 inches long. That puts me in the ghz range. I don’t even wanna adjust very much. Just a set frequency in that range. Small amperage.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009

Hvacguy

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That still does not tell what you want to do with microwave frequency signals.

Here is a design for a 6GHz oscillator.

https://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/design-a-direct-6-ghz-local-oscillator.html
I would like to use the frequency, whatever it is, and run the power thru a coil with turns the same size as the sine wave. 2.4 ghz would be 5inch if I use that value as my circumference then the peaks should line up on my coil/magnet. I would like to see how the magnetic field changes if at all.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I would like to use the frequency, whatever it is, and run the power thru a coil with turns the same size as the sine wave. 2.4 ghz would be 5inch if I use that value as my circumference then the peaks should line up on my coil/magnet. I would like to see how the magnetic field changes if at all.
There is no physics that I know of that relates 2.4ghz = 2.4 x 10^9 and five inches with coils or sine wave or anything else. Your statements are borderline incoherent. Maybe a diagram would help and let us get our frequencies correct. You cannot hear or see 2.4 ghz with any reasonable equipment you might posses.

Hvacguy

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Electricity is 300,000,000 meters per second. So 300 million divided by 2.4 billion is how many meters? .12. 12 centimeters. 12 centimeters is 4.7 inches. Divided by pi gives me my radius.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
10-4. You need 1/2 wavelength for the circumference.

I believe you want one rotation for each peek.

You want to phase the turns current. Great Experiment!

Hvacguy

Joined Jan 27, 2019
10-4. You need 1/2 wavelength for the circumference.

I believe you want one rotation for each peek.

You want to phase the turns current. Great Experiment!
Yes that! There we go. Now what’s my easiest setup to put a little juice thru a coil so that I can play with it. I can match my coil size to the frequency. As long as it’s a manageable size. 1-4 ghz is looking best. I don’t need any specific frequency or to even adjust it. I’ll change my sizes on coil myself to match. I feel like it should be something easy to build in this day and age. I appreciate your time and patience with my lack of knowledge on the subject. So what’s my rough amateur setup to get some gigahertz thru a copper wire and play with it is why I’m here.