Missing/Deleted attachments!?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
My latest attachments to @Aleph(0) 's thread: "EHT Power Supply Design And Construction" on the OT forum (Specifically those to post #66) seem to have been deleted sometime early Tuesday morning? FWIW I don't think this has any bearing on the attachment removed at my request inasmuch as these were present following said action...

FWIW: Here is/was the address of the first such attachment:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/a...9/?temp_hash=966cd9defe7cc45ad03e4e8ccf4f8599

No problem re-upping them if their deletion was a mistake...

Please advise ASAP

Many thanks for your attention to this matter
HP

Last edited:

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Apparently it doesn't work to insert images in a post by dragging them from the "My attachments" list into the edit box. But since you uploaded your attachments correctly, I think I know how you can get the images in your post restored. Follow these instructions:
  1. Go to the post that has the missing images and click the Edit button.
  2. Click on the "More Options..." button in the popup window.
  3. Delete the links to the missing images that are in your post.
  4. Insert the text cursor where you want the first image to be inserted. In the list of "Attached Files," click on the "Thumbnail" (or "Full Image") button for the desired image.
  5. Repeat step #4 for each image to be inserted.
  6. Don't forget to click "Save Changes" when you're done editing your post.
Note to those other than HP who read this: I asked HP how he uploaded and inserted the images via PM (I didn't read his mind;)), but wanted to post the solution here publicly for the benefit of others.

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Apparently it doesn't work to insert images in a post by dragging them from the "My attachments" list into the edit box. But since you uploaded your attachments correctly, I think I know how you can get the images in your post restored. Follow these instructions:
  1. Go to the post that has the missing images and click the Edit button.
  2. Click on the "More Options..." button in the popup window.
  3. If any tags from the missing images appear in your post, delete them.
  4. Insert the text cursor where you want the first image to be inserted. In the list of "Attached Files," click on the "Thumbnail" (or "Full Image") button for the desired image.
  5. Repeat step #4 for each image to be inserted.
  6. Don't forget to click "Save Changes" when you're done editing your post.
Note to those other than HP who read this: I asked HP how he uploaded and inserted the images via PM (I didn't read his mind;)), but wanted to post the solution here publicly for the benefit of others.
Problem is --- The files also went missing from the "My attachments" list...:(
Is it possible that my 'drag and drop' attachment method 'flagged' the files for deletion from the server?

Best regards and many thanks for you help and interest!:)
HP

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Problem is --- The files also went missing from the "My attachments" list...:(
Is it possible that my 'drag and drop' attachment method 'flagged' the files for deletion from the server?

Best regards and many thanks for you help and interest!:)
HP
If the attachments have disappeared, my instructions should still work. You'll just need to upload the images between steps #2 and #4.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@tjohnson and anyone who cares (with apologies to Ian Anderson;))

Here's the deal:

Following upload, file addresses contain "hash_temp" modifiers -- At such time as a file is properly attached to a message and the message is posted, the file is 'moved' to a 'non temp' address...
Thus it seems unattached files 'expire' within a matter of hours following upload --- This makes sense inasmuch as it would tend to discourage use of the server as a free 'cloud storage' service...
Hence it was that my incorrect 'attachment technique' merely created links to the temporary files -- Links which 'broke' upon the files' expiry...

One problem I continue to experience (and have with all my attachments) presents as malfunction of the integral file viewer such that it often fails to display the attachments, while the 'see attachment in original location' link enters a perpetual state of "loading" -- Indeed viewing of the files often requires selection of 'copy link location' (in the properties dialog) thence pasting same to the address bar --- My guess is that the (rather large) file size, or, perhaps the '.jpg' extension may be at issue? --
I have 'moved' the post to the end of the thread, might I prevail upon someone to attempt viewing a few of the attachments then report their results here?

Many thanks:D:D:D
HP

PS: -- Thanks, all! All's cool:cool:

Last edited: