Mini Pacman 80x80

oslosl

Joined Jan 13, 2023
Can anybody help me program and connect the following:

Screenshot_20231006_084454_AliExpress.jpgScreenshot_20231006_084127_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231006_084714_Chrome.jpg

To make the following playable:
pacman 80x80.jpg

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Photographs are almost but not quite completely different from datasheets. If you have any hope of getting good advice it will be because you provided datahsheets for the uncommon parts.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It would be a good idea to start with a less ambitious project in order to gain experience. Get an Arduino board and a 2x16 LCD character display and play with that.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
So, I must admit to confusion here. I find this on your profile:

1696588329305.png

I also can’t understand how you can expect to complete this project without someone effectively doing it for you. My advice is to break this project into pieces and use those pieces to learn enough to possibly tackle the whole thing.

Start with the nano and do a few beginnger tutorials,
then try using it to drive your display modules,
then connect the joystick to the nano and have the stick make the display do something,
then try to use the RPi to drive the display (this is a completely different thing than the nano),
then connect the joystick to the RPi like you did the nano,
then make the RPi do video on the display.

By the time you‘ve done these things you will be much more capable and informed. Becasue of this you may be much less interested in tackling the original game idea until you are even more capable and informed.

I fear that your ignorance is one of the reasons you imagine you can succeed at something as complicated as the game at your level of knowledge and skill—even with help (save a step-by-step how-to and intensive troubleshooting assistance, which isn’t any more “building it” than paint by numbers is painting the picture.

oslosl

Joined Jan 13, 2023
So, I must admit to confusion here. I find this on your profile:

I also can’t understand how you can expect to complete this project without someone effectively doing it for you. My advice is to break this project how into pieces and use those pieces to learn enough to possibly tackle the whole thing.

Start with the nano and do a few beginnger tutorials,
then try using it to drive your display modules,
then connect the joystick to the nano and have the stick make the display do something,
then try to use the RPi to drive the display (this is a completely different thing than the nano),
then connect the joystick to the RPi like you did the nano,
then make the RPi do video on the display.

By the time you‘ve done these things you will be much more capable and informed. Becasue of this you may be much less interested in tackling the original game idea until you are even more capable and informed.

I fear that your ignorance is one of the reasons you imagine you cab succeed at something as complicated as the game at your level of knowledge and skill—even with help (save a step-by-step how-to and intensive troubleshooting assistance, which isn’t any more “building it” than paint by numbers is painting the picture.
If they could do it in the 80's I assume it is not so difficult. I guess it is mostly bitmap copying and a loop.

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If they could do it in the 80's I assume it is not so difficult. I guess it is mostly bitmap copying.
The people “doing it in the 80s” were competent and experienced engineers. Do you actually think that because you were born later you are more capabe of doing things than they were?

It is not a matter of the hardware‘s capabilities, it’s about your capabilities.

boostbuck

Joined Oct 5, 2017
Don't listen to the nay-sayers. If you are prepared to do a lot of reading and googling you will be able to make progress, and you will learn a great deal.