MIcrosoft trying to force me upgrade to Win10

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I have a popup that has no exit square. It says "Schedule Your Upgrade" and insists that I pick a time that can't be changed. I don't want to upgrade. How do I escape?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I have a popup that has no exit square. It says "Schedule Your Upgrade" and insists that I pick a time that can't be changed. I don't want to upgrade. How do I escape?
Which OS are you using now?

I keep getting Upgrade Annoyers (Win 7 Home Premium), but so far I've always been able to just close them.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I am a little confused. I downloaded, installed, and used the GWX console, after which it reports that Win10 is completely eradicated from my PC. But, do I need to do more?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I believe there are registry settings which need to be altered to prevent Windows Update from repeatedly trying to add particular updates to the list. I hide them and they keep reappearing. I've only been using Never 10 for a couple of days so I don't know if the pesky "recommended" updates will appear again.

EDIT: GWX was one of the first things that I eliminated in the first round of this battle.

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I believe there are registry settings which need to be altered to prevent Windows Update from repeatedly trying to add particular updates to the list. I hide them and they keep reappearing. I've only been using Never 10 for a couple of days so I don't know if the pesky "recommended" updates will appear again.

EDIT: GWX was one of the first things that I eliminated in the first round of this battle.
My W7 was getting flaky and I'd hoped the W10 upgrade would sort it out - a month later the whole lot tumbled like a house of cards.

It made such a mess on the HDD that I had to over write everything by installing Linux before I could delete the partitions and start over with W10.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Why should we bother to explain it to you. What you don't know can't hurt you -- right?
Is it really just because you are now forced to upgrade to Windows 10? So you feel like they have taken away a "choice" you had in life?

I fully understand the complaints if its an industrial PC or something "mission critical" but a personal computer?

I've done 10+ upgrades to Windows 10 on friends/family.. 1 was forced.. all others were not.. I have had zero problems with any of them. No data corruption/file loss,etc...

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
No data corruption/file loss,etc...
This is the reason I keep putting it off. So your saying all of your contacts and software just "shows up" in Win 10 when it takes over? Or do you need to do "something" to save information you already have? If you can't tell I'm computer illiterate.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
This is the reason I keep putting it off. So your saying all of your contacts and software just "shows up" in Win 10 when it takes over? Or do you need to do "something" to save information you already have? If you can't tell I'm computer illiterate.
Yep.. everything worked just fine for me on multiple computers.. I had no issues at all.
But I'm also quite skilled in computers...

I'm well aware of those that are "computer illiterate".. My dad is HORRIBLE at computers..
I've installed team viewer on his computer so I can just remotely login and take over control whenever he calls me up with problems..
I'm constantly pulling viruses/malware off, showing him how to print stuff,etc..
He gets a kick out of seeing the computer "do stuff" when hes not touching the mouse/keyboard.. It never gets old for him.. He tells all his friends about how I do it all from across the country and has actually brought them over and called me up just to show them the "magic" of team viewer..

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I don't think the world would end if I "up"graded to Win10, but I do wonder why Microsoft is so determined to give me something. It's a complete change from their normal MO, and that makes me suspicious. In addition, I still am bothered by the lack of a fully functional printer driver for my HP laser printer; it went away when I "up"graded from XP to Win7. Now, when I want to print something on a 4" x 6" file card, I have to drag out my old laptop that still has WinVista on it. But I suppose that the real reason I don't jump at Win10 is that I bought Win7Pro and I own it outright, but I will just be using Win10 at the pleasure of Microsoft.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
For me the biggest unknown is the massive amount of bandwidth consumed by phoning home to Microsoft Servers on a continual basis. What are they doing and why? I still don't have a satisfactory answer.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
but I do wonder why Microsoft is so determined to give me something.
Probably just like every other software company now..
To get everyone on the same page to make bug fixing,etc.. much..much easier which can reduce your staff as you don't need tons of people now to support multiple versions of software,etc..
Similar to how many are going to cloud software to take users hardware out of the picture, lower distribution costs,etc....

More companies are also doing more "beta" programs so that they use the user base to find bugs vs support staff..

Its to reduce variables, reduce staff, reduce operating costs,etc...

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thanks for answering mcgyvr and Alec t. Maybe I'll ask my youngest son to do it remotely. I was afraid upgrading would mean transferring all my stuff by myself. Got into this new fangled computer stuff at too late of an age, know just enough to be dangerous, not to others just myself.