Micro-current electrical stimulation device

br3nt0

Joined Jan 16, 2017
Thank you
Thanks for this project. I would love to build it, but, frankly I have no idea which version is which. I find two schematics & two wiring diagrams, of which none of them seem to correspond with any of the others. Do you have a final schematic & wiring diagram which are the correct ones to use? I have chronic (spine related) pain & fibromyalgia, and hope to use this device for relief from symptoms! Thanks again!

br3nt0

Joined Jan 16, 2017
Start at the Alpha-Stim website. They have a bibliography there.[/QUOTE

Thanks for this project. I would love to build it, but, frankly I have no idea which version is which. I find two schematics & two wiring diagrams, of which none of them seem to correspond with any of the others. Do you have a final schematic & wiring diagram which are the correct ones to use? I have chronic (spine related) pain & fibromyalgia, and hope to use this device for relief from symptoms! Thanks again!

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""his machines all used PLC's to do everything.""
That tendency I had seen at the nightmares. If You have toilet room with problem about internet wiring, then toilet equipment says - no any services for You today. But when you fix it, it says, now need to download the newest upgrades for system drivers and security patches today - please wait one more hour before to take any pee. And when this had been ended, the system detects a computer virus so the full shutdown is going on. Pee another day...
Just there are no need to have a market full of handkerchiefs with built-in microcomputer

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
By the way, how it is about safety of using the brain like a current filled wire?? Cant one something to destroy there, dont know, erase the memories, induce cramps, create the epilepsy or whoknowswhatelse, begin to believe on grey mouse revelation? Its brain somehow, the sacred place for intelligence not a place where to laid elephants walking around.
Few weeks ago one inventor at us gave a lecture he was invented a system miraculously healing most of diseases. Just one must make an any intra-bone channel pressure for some moment, so the intra-bone marvel mm3 or less is pressed out into blood. As it is the only place in body having even in adult the much of stem cells, the cure miracle is more than logical, thus it was rather good medically documented. But what is about long-term safety, that still is clearly unknown. He was willing to engage our institute to invent how to press that brain out without of any surgery, but it looked too suspicious inspite of wonderful results researched on ... sportsmen ... (heh, those eternal question of doping scandals ...)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Are you asking about the schematics for my project? The information is in my first post, with a correction to the PCB layout in post #28.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
By the way, how it is about safety of using the brain like a current filled wire??
My wife and her friend tried one of the expensive devices at a trade show and came home with glowing reviews of the experience. My wife's friend in particular felt an enormous reduction in anxiety.

I was betting on a big placebo effect and before I built one of these, I did a bunch of reading. I was very skeptical that it was either safe or effective, and was likely another snake oil packaged with a high-technology aura. What I found in the literature turned around my thinking on both aspects. These things have been in use for a very long time and helped a lot of people. They're approved and widely used with success. So I built a few for friends and they've also enjoyed very positive effects.

Don't take my word for it, read the literature for yourself.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Wayneh:
May I ask to explain what kind of electrodes You use to earlobes. Metal type, size, wetting system (concentration of salts and what salts), fabrics wrapped around, precise touching placement etc etc details.
Probably the system may be useful for my wife. She is always about depression when everything is alright around her.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
By the way, why You arent using the PCB software like FreePCB or SprintLayout what are so easy to use. To push the aerosol is fast and accurate too, I mean Positiv-20. Thus the PCB will have a tenfold less a time for mounting, and at least my local store wants for Your style board the price equal to 100 pieces of DIY made `real` pcb. Actually never had understood why they being a mass product are so unpardonable pricy, the 4...6 Eur for just 2x3 inch piece, if A4 sized two-side pcb costs about 3 Eur.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Wayneh:
May I ask to explain what kind of electrodes You use to earlobes. Metal type, size, wetting system (concentration of salts and what salts), fabrics wrapped around, precise touching placement etc etc details.
I used these clips on these wires. I also found cheaper ones. I got some conductive gel but I don't think the users bother with it. It seems to do the job without it.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
By the way, why You arent using the PCB software like FreePCB or SprintLayout what are so easy to use. To push the aerosol is fast and accurate too, I mean Positiv-20. Thus the PCB will have a tenfold less a time for mounting, and at least my local store wants for Your style board the price equal to 100 pieces of DIY made `real` pcb. Actually never had understood why they being a mass product are so unpardonable pricy, the 4...6 Eur for just 2x3 inch piece, if A4 sized two-side pcb costs about 3 Eur.
The boards I used are like these. Very cheap.

smooth_jamie

Joined Jan 4, 2017
Nice project! I'd be interested in using the "Intaglio" software but I did a google search and nothing turned up? Can you point me to where I can find/download it?

EDIT:
Just noticed that this was a vector graphics program not something bespoke for prototype PCB's. Never mind :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Nice project! I'd be interested in using the "Intaglio" software but I did a google search and nothing turned up? Can you point me to where I can find/download it?

EDIT:
Just noticed that this was a vector graphics program not something bespoke for prototype PCB's. Never mind :)
Correct, I use it because there was no learning curve for me - I have a long history using vector drawing apps since they first appeared. A few here use paint programs for the same reason. I can't fathom that! But a tool you know is hard to give up for one you do not.

smooth_jamie

Joined Jan 4, 2017
Correct, I use it because there was no learning curve for me - I have a long history using vector drawing apps since they first appeared. A few here use paint programs for the same reason. I can't fathom that! But a tool you know is hard to give up for one you do not.
I still use vector graphic programs for designing 2D net enclosures, and I enjoy using Inkscape for general graphic design.

I used to do the same with stripboard layouts, but for me it took too long to layout everything the way I wanted it. Now I either plan on paper or use the clunky alternatives such as lochmaster for speed (ok but not great). If you know any good "out of the box" alternatives, I'd love to know a few.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""Now I plan on paper""
I was one of the last who ended to use a paper. My favorite was those analog writer 2,5 mm cells paper, graphite pencil and colourful flomasters. But then my colleges convinced me to start Eagle. Eagle I disliked, but for long I felt in love with FreePcb (as I mostly condemn the anything bounding with those blood-suckers: Windows, thus I use a Linux). But this software isnt much useful at any Windows, thus I had communication problems with my mates, therefore we choose the common platform - SprintLayer, what is just brilliant program, because it ALLOWS to keep my most important wish - to condemn a autotracer and use it in free draw mode. Thus I work with the same ease as on the paper, but rubber gum makes no a harm to the display :) More over, it allow to `flood in` the ground at any unused place, what saves a etcher and helps about parallel wire problem.

Just the accuracy is boosted millon-fold; thank to that allows me work with smd even of VSOP or more smaller, and looking in microscope my pcb I cant see any `sawteeth` along with a path length. Thus, the job is far more accurate than any paper-iron method (or brush and paint method of 1970~ies) may give. I hardly advice to anyone to learn the SprintLayer and Positivus-20 technologies, otherwise all the professionalism is lost just because of accuracy loss. If to compare the time consumption, that technology of wire, wire, hole, hole - it demands rather much time to trace the every wire, thus I guess the 10-fold more (at least a two-three hours) than just push the components in the marked places and solder it (much less than half hour). The PCB making expenses are 5 min of degreasing, 5 minutes of drying, 11 seconds UV exposition, less than 5 minutes the developing and 15 minutes etching. If want a green mask, add the more 10 minutes.

And Your labour will be excellent without of bunch of hanging wires. If see the pricing, one flack of Positivus costs 11 Eur and is useable for about 2...5 m2 of surface, thus 6x8cm the 500...2000 pieces, or as the cost 1 cent per piece. Etching for sure is more expensive. The material cost, though is rather similar to that You specified, 3,5 Eur per A4 size what makes a 14 pieces per sheet or price 0,30 Eur per piece. Thus, the self-cost may be rather near for both methods. But time You spent and luxurious view iis the factor one ought not neglect. The only case when breadboard is useful, by my opinion is when You produce an solely one masterpiece and never more, and it will be solely at own use, not for sell (or even gift).

This is interesting, I am just beginning my learning journey here but would be interested to know how difficult it would be to be able to select from 3 frequencies like 200hz, .6hz or .3hz

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This is interesting, I am just beginning my learning journey here but would be interested to know how difficult it would be to be able to select from 3 frequencies like 200hz, .6hz or .3hz
I don't see any reason you couldn't achieve this. You could use a potentiometer to get all these values, or a switch and fixed resistors to select pre-defined values.

carlsor

Joined Jun 17, 2018
Hi Wayneh,

I designed a PCB using Eagle to build your micro-current device using SMD resistors for my own use.
In double-checking against the schematic and the board point-to-point wiring in this thread I found one more discrepancy.
The wires from U3 "0" and "2" go through the 270K resistors to the 3K resistor and IN+ in the Schematic.
In the board wiring, the wiring from U3 "0" and "2" go to the 3K resistors and then though the 270K resistor to IN+.
I assume the Board wiring is the correct circuit......right?

By the way, your circuit design is very creative - thanks!

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The linked circuit with two 555 ICs, a 4017 IC and two opamps produce random digital pulses, not random noise. Also its frequency range is only 4 to 1.
The analog circuits making real random noise from a reverse-biased transistor emitter-base or a Zener diode are designed to be powered from 18V that drops to 12V during the life of the 9V batteries.

It is easy to change the cutoff frequency of an 8th-order switched capacitor Butterworth lowpass filter IC.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The linked circuit with two 555 ICs, a 4017 IC and two opamps produce random digital pulses, not random noise. Also its frequency range is only 4 to 1.
The analog circuits making real random noise from a reverse-biased transistor emitter-base or a Zener diode are designed to be powered from 18V that drops to 12V during the life of the 9V batteries.

It is easy to change the cutoff frequency of an 8th-order switched capacitor Butterworth lowpass filter IC.
Did you mean to post this here, or over in the "random noise below 30Hz) thread?