Mic XLR Switching

volcaino

Joined Apr 10, 2006
I'm trying to put together a circuit that will have one XLR input and switch between one of two XLR outputs using only one side of a DPDT switch. I only want to use one side of the DPDT switch cause I want to use the other side for the LEDs to show. I figure the only way to do it is to use transistors as switches. The diagram that i've attached shows only one pole of the switch, the other pole will be similar to the one shown, just linking to the second output. What I really want to know is if this circuit will work, and whether it will significatnly impact the audio signal. Also, if this won't work, then how can I switch multiple audio streams with only one switch?

[attachmentid=1374]

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by volcaino@Apr 10 2006, 07:55 PM
I'm trying to put together a circuit that will have one XLR input and switch between one of two XLR outputs using only one side of a DPDT switch. I only want to use one side of the DPDT switch cause I want to use the other side for the LEDs to show. I figure the only way to do it is to use transistors as switches. The diagram that i've attached shows only one pole of the switch, the other pole will be similar to the one shown, just linking to the second output. What I really want to know is if this circuit will work, and whether it will significatnly impact the audio signal. Also, if this won't work, then how can I switch multiple audio streams with only one switch?

[attachmentid=1374]
[post=16045]Quoted post[/post]​
You want the device to switch mikes, or line signal? Will it be usual symmetric signal?
If yes, than you would need triple pole DT or a relay. I don´t think switching mike inputs with transistors is a good idea, unless you don´t expect too good quality from it.

I don´t understand the picture. You have one output to be switched to two XLRs, right? Then where is the connection for the signal? Why do you also switch grounds?

volcaino

Joined Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by kubeek@Apr 10 2006, 02:55 PM
You want the device to switch mikes, or line signal? Will it be usual symmetric signal?
If yes, than you would need triple pole DT or a relay. I don´t think switching mike inputs with transistors is a good idea, unless you don´t expect too good quality from it.

I don´t understand the picture. You have one output to be switched to two XLRs, right? Then where is the connection for the signal? Why do you also switch grounds?
[post=16049]Quoted post[/post]​
I'm pretty new to electronics, as i'm sure you can tell. Anyway, the device that I'm trying to make will take one XLR input and switch between two XLR outputs. But I dont just want to use a TPDT to switch it as I want to have an LED and also be able to switch another audio circuit on and off with the one switch. That's why i figured that I'd need to use some kind of electronic switching system rather than just one physical switch to change outputs. I'll have a look into relays and how they work, as I need the output audio signals to be the best quality they can be.

Thanks kubeek

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by volcaino@Apr 10 2006, 10:05 PM
I'm pretty new to electronics, as i'm sure you can tell. Anyway, the device that I'm trying to make will take one XLR input and switch between two XLR outputs. But I dont just want to use a TPDT to switch it as I want to have an LED and also be able to switch another audio circuit on and off with the one switch. That's why i figured that I'd need to use some kind of electronic switching system rather than just one physical switch to change outputs. I'll have a look into relays and how they work, as I need the output audio signals to be the best quality they can be.

Thanks kubeek
[post=16050]Quoted post[/post]​
than it could look like this

volcaino

Joined Apr 10, 2006
cool, thanks kubeek. that helps a lot.

so i really just need to deal with pins 2 and 3 and just ground pin 1? also, i'm assuming that i can just put in multple relays in series to switch the other circuits i need?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by volcaino@Apr 10 2006, 11:19 PM
cool, thanks kubeek. that helps a lot.

so i really just need to deal with pins 2 and 3 and just ground pin 1? also, i'm assuming that i can just put in multple relays in series to switch the other circuits i need?
[post=16053]Quoted post[/post]​
In fact you should leave the XLRs not connected to the rest of the circuit, so connect pin 1 on input to both pins 1 on outputs, but don´t connect it to the ground of the control circuit.

the relays should be in parallel, means all grounded on one side and connected to the DPDT on the other side. Also the circuit can be made with SPDT, or one half of DPDT leavig the other half for your needs without another relay.