Memory organization

wingman-001

Joined Aug 12, 2015
Hi guys.. I need help with this task.

This task is related to RAM memory organization.
Question is:
"Which memory circuit organization is required on 4GB memory module if every circuit participate equally in 64-bit of memory module? Write at least two organizations."

I don't know what should I use here but there are some formulas to use for sure.
I don't know how to start but solution should be something like 256x8 or something in that fashion.
Someone who understand computer architecture should solve this very fast.
Thank you very much!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is like the question, "Define the universe. Give three examples."

It asks you to say which organization is "required" and then tells you to give two such organizations. Well, if you have two options, then it would appear that neither one of them is actually required.

Even if the question made perfect sense and someone could solve it very fast, the fact would remain that it is YOUR homework, not theirs. The rule is simple -- YOU have to provide YOUR best effort to solve YOUR homework. We then help guide you from where you are to where you need to go. In this case, describe what your text means by "every circuit participate equally" in a context like this.

wingman-001

Joined Aug 12, 2015
I'm sorry then. I have no materials, only this task. Professor won't help us, his explanation is very poor.
Only thing I found is some document from the Internet related to memory organization and it has similar tasks inside, but I still can't figure out from it how to solve my problem.
If that's the rules, you can delete my post then. This task should be easy to solve but it's very confusing and because of that it's hard.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
"Which memory circuit organization is required on 4GB memory module if every circuit participate equally in 64-bit of memory module? Write at least two organizations."
Does that mean the datapath is 64 bits wide? What memory modules are available? What does "every circuit" mean?
The way I see it you could use 64 pieces of 4Gbit one-bit memories for example, but I am not really making any sense of the question.

wingman-001

Joined Aug 12, 2015
Does that mean the datapath is 64 bits wide? What memory modules are available? What does "every circuit" mean?
The way I see it you could use 64 pieces of 4Gbit one-bit memories for example, but I am not really making any sense of the question.
Yes it is 64-bit wide and circuit means "memory chip".
We don't have more information. That's all what we got. The task is stupid and subject is stupid, I know.
Solutions should look like something like this: 256Mbx4, or 256Mbx8, or 512Mbx8 etc.
We need to find appropriate memory organizations for 4GB memory which is wide 64-bit.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes it is 64-bit wide and circuit means "memory chip".
We don't have more information. That's all what we got. The task is stupid and subject is stupid, I know.
Solutions should look like something like this: 256Mbx4, or 256Mbx8, or 512Mbx8 etc.
We need to find appropriate memory organizations for 4GB memory which is wide 64-bit.
Neither the task nor the subject is stupid, but the question is worded very strangely (is it a translation into English, perhaps)?

It sounds like you are just looking for how to build up a 4 GB RAM memory bank that is 64-bits wide.

So the first question would be how many total bits does this RAM bank contain?

How deep is it (how many addresses)?

If you choose to use 512Mb x 8, how many of these would be required to get the necessary depth (but only 8 bits wide)?

How would you need to connect these up to create a contiguous address space that is the correct depth?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If you are waiting for kubeek to just supply you with the answer, I have a feeling you are going to be waiting a long time. What is it about even attempting to work your own homework that is so objectionable to you?

wingman-001

Joined Aug 12, 2015
I am searching for solution for more than 3 hours and I'm trying to find similar problems on the Internet. I am also drawing a memory chips and trying to understand what is going on and still nothing. There must be someone who knows that and show me correct steps.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Why won't you start with the very simple questions you've been asked?

You are tasked with making a RAM bank that is 4 GB.

How many total bits is this?

If the memory space is 64 bits wide, how deep is it (how many memory addresses are there)?

The just pick a particular memory chip, such as a 512 Mb x 8. How many chips total would be needed to get your 4 BG?

wingman-001

Joined Aug 12, 2015
Look, I don't have any other information than that memory is 64-bit wide and 4GB in size.
I just need at least two organizations which are appropriate for making this memory and some explanation why are they suitable. I don't understand why are you asking me side questions. I don't know anything about memory and this task, but at least I'm trying.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Look,this is called "Homework Help", not "Homework Done for You". You are expected to do the work, under the guidance of very capable people. Who are volunteering their time to assist. Therefore, you can show us some work by answering the very simple questions asked of you. Believe me, you will eventually understand the problem and be able to come to the correct conclusion.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Look, I don't have any other information than that memory is 64-bit wide and 4GB in size.
I just need at least two organizations which are appropriate for making this memory and some explanation why are they suitable. I don't understand why are you asking me side questions. I don't know anything about memory and this task, but at least I'm trying.
No, you aren't trying. You are asking for someone else to do your homework for you. That won't get you anywhere here. How do you expect to make it through a job interview? Or, assuming you actually land a job, how do you expect to actually do that job? Expect your coworkers to solve all your problems for you?

I am asking you the questions that you should be asking yourself in order to solve this problem. But you appear completely uninterested in actually learning anything about the topic, which is perhaps a big part of the reason why you don't know anything about the material leading up to this task.

wingman-001

Joined Aug 12, 2015
No, you aren't trying. You are asking for someone else to do your homework for you. That won't get you anywhere here. How do you expect to make it through a job interview? Or, assuming you actually land a job, how do you expect to actually do that job? Expect your coworkers to solve all your problems for you?

I am asking you the questions that you should be asking yourself in order to solve this problem. But you appear completely uninterested in actually learning anything about the topic, which is perhaps a big part of the reason why you don't know anything about the material leading up to this task.
Yes I'm trying, I am sitting whole day and trying to understand what is going on. I also came here to beg for help and I got only insolence from you. I don't have time for you anymore. If you are not comfortable reading this post, just go away or even better, delete it. You have nothing to do with my task.
Please delete this post.

Last edited:

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I understand your frustration. However, there are plenty of people on this forum who are more than willing to help you, on the condition that you post your attempt at solving this problem.

No one has said that you have to solve it on your own, as we understand that you can't. But we would be disobeying the rules of this forum if we helped you before you posted any attempt.

If you've truly been studying this problem all day, you should easily be able to post how you tried to solve it. Please don't get angry at me - I'm honestly trying to help you.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Okay... I don't know is this correct.. Can you write the steps which lead to this solutions please?
Actually now that I look at it, the first one - 8x (512MBx8) is correct as it gives you 4GB adn you have 8*8=64 bits in parallel. The second one is wrong, can you see why?

wingman-001

Joined Aug 12, 2015
Actually now that I look at it, the first one - 8x (512MBx8) is correct as it gives you 4GB adn you have 8*8=64 bits in parallel. The second one is wrong, can you see why?
First of all, thanks for reply.
The way I see it: 8*512 = 4096 on 8-bit wide chips. So this is 8x(512MBx8)?
The second one should be: 4*1024 = 4096 on 8-bit wide ch.
Or it's incorect because 4*8 is not 64? Maybe 4x(1024MBx16)?

And maybe third: 256MBx16? 16x(256MBx4)?

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
It is incorrect because 4*8bit doesnt give you enough bits for the 64bit data path.
The 16x (256Mbx16Bit) could work if the memories are capable of paralleling their outputs together, because you would need 4 sets of 4 chips with their outputs in parallel and one of those four would be active at a time, which gives you 64 bits on output and a choice of four different memory sets.