Memory Mattress Questions

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello there,

I was looking at some of the memory mattresses that started coming out some years ago and was thinking about how they actually work out in real life. I have not had one yet but i have had some strange pillows that are related to this question i think.

First, it comes with a 400 Terabyte hard drive built in.
Ok just kidding around on that one due to the name of the type of mattress that includes 'memory' :)

Seriously though, i have had pillows that tend to 'bunch up' into some strange shape after using them for a while and i thought that might have something to do with some 'memory' effect of the material.
I was thinking that if the matresses do this too, it might create a 'dent' in the bed where you normally sleep, such as in the middle.

So what do you think and did you ever own one of these mattresses and if so how did you like it?
Also, did it get worn or some permanent dent in it somewhere?

Thanks a bunch...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I move a lot at night and for me, the memory foam is a problem because it locks me in place. It's very comfortable and my wife loves it – it's helped solve some back problems she was having – but I do better with a more conventional mattress. Actually, my mattress has a thin layer of memory foam in its top layer, sort of a built-in mattress topper. That's comfy without feeling like you're immobilized. It could just be a gimmick I suppose.

Wear and weakening over time is a concern with a big slab of foam but I'd have to say the foam mattress we have has lasted a good long time already, maybe better than conventional ones. It's an off-brand "Tempurpedic".

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
You can purchase them at Costco, I Already have one on my bed but it's to low to the floor with the type of frame I purchased at IKea, so I will purchase another one at Costco.

I think it's helped my back, my old mattress had a big impression and my back was a wreck, once I got the new mattress I'm doing much better know.

kv

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...once I got the new mattress I'm doing much better know.
A new mattress (which is now getting old) solved problems I was having with hip pain. If you have any doubts about your mattress, try something else for a week. I suspect there are a lot of folks out there with pain they don't need to endure.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello there,

I was looking at some of the memory mattresses that started coming out some years ago and was thinking about how they actually work out in real life. I have not had one yet but i have had some strange pillows that are related to this question i think.

First, it comes with a 400 Terabyte hard drive built in.
Ok just kidding around on that one due to the name of the type of mattress that includes 'memory' :)

Seriously though, i have had pillows that tend to 'bunch up' into some strange shape after using them for a while and i thought that might have something to do with some 'memory' effect of the material.
I was thinking that if the matresses do this too, it might create a 'dent' in the bed where you normally sleep, such as in the middle.

So what do you think and did you ever own one of these mattresses and if so how did you like it?
Also, did it get worn or some permanent dent in it somewhere?

Thanks a bunch...
The good mattresses, Temperpedic, has a 30-day in home trial. If you don't like it, the retailer will pick it up. Mine is 12-years old and still perfect.

Give it a try.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Using one of those "smart" pillows, while writing this. Almost 18 months in use, it recovers its original shape immediately.

I do most of my reading lying on bed with that pillow plus another common one. But not for sleeping. Maybe not soft enough and too high.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello again,

Thanks very much for the information here, which i see comes from personal use which is what i was so much hoping for. You read this and that on the web but it is hard to trust random reviews from people you have no idea who they are and who they work for.

The suggestions here confirmed some of my suspicions about how different they can be from a regular mattress. I happen to like a very very firm mattress so i dont think they will be good for me unless i spend a lot on one, which i dont really want to do either.

Now lately i read about coil spring mattresses too and i see that some of them can be quite soft, which again i dont like. Now i know why i see on TV sometimes people going to bedding shops that sell matresses and actually laying on them to see if they like them. They want to be sure they get the right thing for their sleeping preference.
It's more complicated than i thought too as i read a little about the 'heating' effects some of the foam matresses have on the human body. I dont need that at all for the summer months :)

Thanks again.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello again,

Thanks very much for the information here, which i see comes from personal use which is what i was so much hoping for. You read this and that on the web but it is hard to trust random reviews from people you have no idea who they are and who they work for.

The suggestions here confirmed some of my suspicions about how different they can be from a regular mattress. I happen to like a very very firm mattress so i dont think they will be good for me unless i spend a lot on one, which i dont really want to do either.

Now lately i read about coil spring mattresses too and i see that some of them can be quite soft, which again i dont like. Now i know why i see on TV sometimes people going to bedding shops that sell matresses and actually laying on them to see if they like them. They want to be sure they get the right thing for their sleeping preference.
It's more complicated than i thought too as i read a little about the 'heating' effects some of the foam matresses have on the human body. I dont need that at all for the summer months :)

Thanks again.

The Temperpedic memory foam is temperature sensitive. It is best to sleep without a mattress pad so your body heat transfers to the super-firm foam. As the foam warms, your body falls into it for a custom fit. If you want to roll over, the ridges/shape take some time to re-form to the new shape.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
The Temperpedic memory foam is temperature sensitive. It is best to sleep without a mattress pad so your body heat transfers to the super-firm foam. As the foam warms, your body falls into it for a custom fit. If you want to roll over, the ridges/shape take some time to re-form to the new shape.
Hi,

Yeah, that's one of the things i dont think i like. Sounds like we would be drowning in foam :)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I don't have a memory foam so can't comment on them. I do have a "Sleep Number" though. I have 2 crushed discs in my lumbar spine, since the age of 24, am now 69 so have had back problems most of my life. Since getting the Sleep Number it has relieved a lot of my problems. What is nice about them is when you need a firm or even extra firm mattress you can adjust to that level. And when the firmness isn't needed you can let the air out of it. Before getting it I sometimes slept on the floor because my bed wasn't compatible with how my back was feeling. Now it's just a few seconds of pushing a button to get the firmness that feels good.

Also there is no containment of body heat in the foam. They are not "wavy" like a water bed. If you didn't know it was a 'air mattress' when you laid in it you would just think it was a standard mattress.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hi,

Yeah, that's one of the things i dont think i like. Sounds like we would be drowning in foam :)
The effect is not that pronounced although it's too much for me, because it makes rolling around more difficult after you've fallen into a gravity well. (Teehee, couldn't help myself. :p)

When my wife's mattress first arrived and was ready to try out, it was a cold time of year and the mattress was probably near freezing. So when I laid on it to check it out, my first thought was , "Oh no, what have I done?!" It was stiff as a board. But it quickly warmed and softened.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I'm not personally a fan of the memory foam mattresses so we got a 10" thick latex mattress. It's very comfortable and compliant without the stickiness of memory foam. We bought it on line (Botanical Bliss from PlushBeds.com) after researching the various grades of latex. Some are better than others. They run some pretty good sales on holidays etc. Various thicknesses are available keyed to body weight. If I were to do it over I'd get a couple of thickness levels thicker than the chart. Other than that, we're pretty happy with it.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I don't have a memory foam so can't comment on them. I do have a "Sleep Number" though. I have 2 crushed discs in my lumbar spine, since the age of 24, am now 69 so have had back problems most of my life. Since getting the Sleep Number it has relieved a lot of my problems. What is nice about them is when you need a firm or even extra firm mattress you can adjust to that level. And when the firmness isn't needed you can let the air out of it. Before getting it I sometimes slept on the floor because my bed wasn't compatible with how my back was feeling. Now it's just a few seconds of pushing a button to get the firmness that feels good.

Also there is no containment of body heat in the foam. They are not "wavy" like a water bed. If you didn't know it was a 'air mattress' when you laid in it you would just think it was a standard mattress.
Thats why I would prefer sleep by number plus if I want to lift the bed to watch TV I can, or stop my wife from snoring. Plus, I understand the memory foam off gases.

Sleep by number if you can afford it.

kv

Edit: The latex sounds interesting.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thats why I would prefer sleep by number plus if I want to lift the bed to watch TV I can, or stop my wife from snoring.
I just have the basic model, no gauges or other bells and whistles. Blow it up extra firm, lay down and let air out until it's comfortable. But when and if this one goes bad, I definitely will get another, ~7 years now and still happy.

I'm sure it's your wife snoring, but she reads this, you won't hear her from the couch. :D

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

It is starting to sound like you have to pay more for the firmer foam mattresses.

Also, another fear was that of outgassing when new as suggested by killivolt. What i dont know is how long this lasts. That would not be good at all.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello again,

I am now reading about this thing "Mattress Pad" which is recommended for foam mattresses.
I never had one of these. Any idea what that is for?

Also, i have an unusual box spring. The springs go sideways not up and down. I would hope the bottom fo the foam does not get hurt over time.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello again,

I am now reading about this thing "Mattress Pad" which is recommended for foam mattresses.
I never had one of these. Any idea what that is for?

Also, i have an unusual box spring. The springs go sideways not up and down. I would hope the bottom fo the foam does not get hurt over time.
Traditionally, a mattress pad is to protect the mattress from stains and odors over time. Something you can pull off and wash.

TempurPedic used to say, no mattress pad. The mattress pad prevents body heat from warming the foam and allowing your body to sink in. A cold mattress is like a brick. It takes 5 to 10 minutes to warm.

Tempurpedic eventually started selling a very thin pad (as opposed to the thick quilted pads most families use) because some people were turned off of memory foam mattresses if they had no pad to wash.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Hi,

It is starting to sound like you have to pay more for the firmer foam mattresses.

Also, another fear was that of outgassing when new as suggested by killivolt. What i dont know is how long this lasts. That would not be good at all.

I just seen this, so it was a Nurse who went crazy about health and materials we come into contact with on a daily basis. She went off about the off gassing of the foam, I have no idea how long this happens? She made it sound as if it continues as it breaks down as normal materials would naturally. Once I move I will get a sleep by number because I don't want to move a bed that heavy twice, I plan to move to my fathers house in summer if my home sells at the right price. :)

kv

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I just seen this, so it was a Nurse who went crazy about health and materials we come into contact with on a daily basis. She went off about the off gassing of the foam, I have no idea how long this happens?
I wonder if the "nurse" ever buys a new car? That same 'out gassing' is what gives the "new car smell".

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello again,

Ok so the bed pad is optional i guess, and for on top of mattress.

Now the problem is i see so many on Amazon. So many makers.
How do you know which one is good (other than a super expensive one) ?
I see a LOT for under 200 dollars.
Thicknesses range 6 to 12 inches. What?