Memory IC Identification, (Datasheet Included)

Andrewlapham

Joined Aug 29, 2017
I have a cheap android car radio i bought off Aliexpress and was thinking up upgrading the memory ICs. Inside i found two RS256M16V0DB.
http://szrayson.com/uploadfiles/2020/05/20200519171905651.pdf

Are these chips actually 512mb a piece or are they both 256mb? I'm having trouble understanding the datasheet tbh. the android system says it has 1gb installed but just like the fake android version it claims, is it also reporting a fake amount of ram?

Thanks.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I've switched out BGA chips before. Just having trouble understanding the datasheet
That was not even the question. I'm sure you have the skills and the equipment, My question was more fundamental. How do you know that the PC Board anticipated and provided for the possibility of a memory upgrade. You can't really go subbing one chip for another just because they appear to be mechanically compatible. Without know ahead of time that your effort has a high probability of success you'll probably end up with a brick.

I have trouble with datasheets too. The PC board is the bigger challenge however. That being the case, I'm not really interested in digging deeper since I can't see the PC board.

Andrewlapham

Joined Aug 29, 2017
That was not even the question. I'm sure you have the skills and the equipment, My question was more fundamental. How do you know that the PC Board anticipated and provided for the possibility of a memory upgrade. You can't really go subbing one chip for another just because they appear to be mechanically compatible. Without know ahead of time that your effort has a high probability of success you'll probably end up with a brick.

I have trouble with datasheets too. The PC board is the bigger challenge however. That being the case, I'm not really interested in digging deeper since I can't see the PC board.
Sorry, thought you were referring to the physical aspect.
The unit is an MTK8227l based android head unit (no branding) these come in 1 -2gb versions and i have all the firmware revisions to suit the memory capacity and after looking through the datasheet for the SoC the upper limits for memory support is capped at 2gb.