MCU with WiFi and great ADCs

Liderluigi

Joined Feb 3, 2019
Hi,

I have been looking all over the Internet and the MCU that best matches what I'm looking for is the ESP32. However, those ADCs specs are not enough for my project:

I'm in need of a Microcontroller that has WiFi (integrated 2.4GHz antenna) and at least 12 input ADC pins (>=12 bit precision) with high sample rate (>= 1MSPS). These are the MOST IMPORTANT specs I'm looking for.

I don't really care much about the price, but I'm expecting something similar to the ESP products (~$10-15).

Thanks in advance!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Maybe the only solution is to use separate pieces. I've had to do that numerous times.
You could also ask one of the manufacturer's to make you a custom part. You'll pay a big price for the first one, but each additional one will drive the price down.

Last edited:

Liderluigi

Joined Feb 3, 2019
Maybe the only solution is to use separate pieces. I've had to do that numerous times.
You could also ask one of manufacturer's to make you a custom part. You'll pay a big price for the first one, but each additional one will drive the price down.
Do you know maybe any MCU alternatives to ESP32 with higher specs?

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Your not going to find 12 bit ADC and wifi on the same chip the ADC would pick up noise.
Use a esp32 and make a board with one of micrchips 12 bit ADC chipsThat fits the bill

Liderluigi

Joined Feb 3, 2019
Your not going to find 12 bit ADC and wifi on the same chip the ADC would pick up noise.
Use a esp32 and make a board with one of micrchips 12 bit ADC chipsThat fits the bill
Actually, ESP32 has 12 bit precision ADCs... I'm looking for the high sample rate.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I know, but no WiFi on them, just Ethernet...
You're not paying attention to the details. If you cannot find a single part that does it all then you have to put together a set of individual chips that will do what you want. The alternative is a custom part. You choose which way you want to go.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I follow KISS principal.
I don't have any a priori reason to suspect that any one method is automatically is simpler than all the others. Maybe you have some insight on this point. BTW wouldn't an Ethernet connection to an external router give you the required Wifi functionality? How about a USB connection to a cellphone?

brianrho

Joined Jul 16, 2014
Actually, ESP32 has 12 bit precision ADCs... I'm looking for the high sample rate.
Actually the ESP32's ADCs are known to be shit; non-linear and with an offset besides. You get the best results with fewer bits (10 or so) and less attenuation and even then the offset persists though its easily removed I guess. Last I checked, the official word from the company was they'd add calibration tables or something to future chips. The optimal solution for you now is to use a separate ADC chip like others have said, unless you've got a really good reason to have everything in one chip