MC2100 Rev B - Treadmill Runs for a couple second then stops

eewill

Joined Jul 27, 2020
Keeping up with progress, in case this helps someone else...
I really wanted to get the circuit function down before I just started testing randomly.

I tested the TACH reed switch. It works fine. I can even move the belt and watch the numbers change on the console.

I also completely removed the motor from the system and used a light bulb in it's place. I bypassed the motor's thermal switch as well. The light bulb only lit briefly before going out. So, the problem is on the board and not the motor itself.

Then I followed the path I outlined in a previous post.

It looks like the MOSFET is gone. It's tests shorted no matter which pins or direction I use.

I removed the MOSFET and tried to test the board in system again. I'm guessing that either something else is out, or another safety feature is shutting things down. I am not reading any voltage change on pin #8 of the micro or the gate node where the FET was. It stays at a constant 0.15V regardless of the speed setting.

I have a new MOSFET on order. Will have to wait and see what happens.

eewill

Joined Jul 27, 2020
I have a better meter put away somewhere. I'll locate it and test it. I've got some time to continue testing while waiting on the MOSFET to come in.

eewill

Joined Jul 27, 2020
What about the U5 driver? Is there an easy way to test it? I only have my meter.

Eventually, I'll get the MOSFET in and I can put it in the board and that will tell me something.... just trying to get ahead of things.

eewill

Joined Jul 27, 2020
Looks like the MOSFET was the problem. I also lubricated the deck under the belt. After it started running, it would slow down when you stepped on the belt. It still does a little at very low speeds of 1 mph and under.