Making a mobile phone fast charger plug

Top-up

Joined Aug 17, 2019
Hi all,

I am totally new to all this and i honestly have no idea what i need so im looking for some advice.

what i want is to be able to make my own circuit board layout for a fast charger plug for your mobile.

what i want to know is:
what components do i need
which components connect to what
and the best way to lay them out on the PCB

Thanks

C

It depends on your phone. USB 3, Samsung Galaxy and Apple particularly.

A power supply just won't do it.

This http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps2511.pdf IC gives you a hint of what's required, but that might not even work.

Car charger? Mains charger? Mains voltage where you are?

Designspark and Eagle have free versions. KiCAD is open source.

Oshpark is not a bad place to have PCB's made.

Top-up

Joined Aug 17, 2019
Hi, it will plug into the mains of the house, and i want it to go from the mains plug (wires out ) connected to the PCB components to then a another wire which has the charger port connected

If that makes sense =/

as well i want to know that if i was to connect it to other phones that it wouldnt overload the phone or anything

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
What exactly do you mean by "fast charger"?
A USB charger supplies 5 volts to the phone with a maximum current specified on the type of USB outlet you are using. The circuitry in the phone regulates the charging current and monitors the battery voltage to cut off the current when it is charged. If you made a 5 volt 100 amp supply, the phone would still only charge at the same rate as with a standard USB charger..
Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

Top-up

Joined Aug 17, 2019
what im wanting is when the charger is a 45w fast charger, and your phone can do a 40w fast charge that its able to charge the phone at 40w. what components would i need for this? and what connects to what

Rich2

Joined Mar 3, 2014
what im wanting is when the charger is a 45w fast charger, and your phone can do a 40w fast charge that its able to charge the phone at 40w. what components would i need for this? and what connects to what
Just buy one matey, Anker do a 5 port mains one that is 45w. If you want to make something choose something simple, there are loads of 555 circuits to build.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Re-read @KeithWalker ’s post carefully. It is different for each phone. And it’s different for each USB revision. Your circuit needs to “communicate” with the phone to negotiate the charging rate.

Research USB specifications to determine how this negotiation occurs. That will provide the basic for which components are required.

Oh, you will need a transformer. Transformer-less circuits are dangerous and prohibited from being discussed in this forum. Don’t question that; it’s part of this site.

Top-up

Joined Aug 17, 2019
it’s different for each USB revision. Your circuit needs to “communicate” with the phone to negotiate the charging rate.

Research USB specifications to determine how this negotiation occurs. That will provide the basic for which components are required.

Oh, you will need a transformer. Transformer-less circuits are dangerous and prohibited from being discussed in this forum. Don’t question that; it’s part of this site.
[/QUOTE]

This is what i have no idea about u wouldnt even know where to start to look into this ...

What do i need to make them communicate...

Or what transforms do i need

Like im am 100% a newb to all of this... like i need Step by step... instructions lol

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Start by learning some basic electronics. When you understand how resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, UJTs, FETs, and other semiconductors work, then start learning about the different logic families. Then you can progress to microprocessors, SRAM, DRAM, ROM, and periferal chips. When you have done that you can start to learn how to program them.
After that you should have some idea of how to make a smart USB hub that you can program to talk to your phone charging controller.
Good luck.

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Smartphones today can take up to 12vdc into the charger port. It's no longer limited to 5v as it was in the past.
For example, Motorola calls theirs "Turbo Charge". The phones come with a special charger that provides more voltage so that the current can be kept lower for a given power.

There is ONE BIG CATCH here though. and that is that the PHONE has to be compatible. If you plug the Turbo Charger into a different phone that does not support that mode of operation the phone will still charge at only 5v and whatever rate it allows. I think some phones are limited to 700ma and it doesnt matter what you connect to them that is all they will take. That is because the phones internal circuit is not able to handle more than 700ma. If it can handle 1000ma then that's the limit for that phone, etc.

So really you have to know what the phone can take, and you srue as heck can not supply 12v to a phone that is not able to handle the higher power modes of charging you could damage it.

So my recommendation is to find out what the phone can handle FIRST.

What exactly do you mean by "fast charger"?
A USB charger supplies 5 volts to the phone with a maximum current specified on the type of USB outlet you are using. The circuitry in the phone regulates the charging current and monitors the battery voltage to cut off the current when it is charged. If you made a 5 volt 100 amp supply, the phone would still only charge at the same rate as with a standard USB charger..
Regards,
Keith
Not exactly. 100 mA will be supplied without negotiation. If it'a a 5V 100 Amp supply without negotiation, the phone will limit itself to 100 mA. The eary way was to put a voltage divider on the data lines. My ancient phone

USB 3.0 phones are different.