Make your plans for August 2017. Total solar eclipse

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I hear that! -- À la folks who get themselves into trouble spending 'winnings' from forthcoming drawings they 'know' they're going to win:rolleyes:

Best regsrds
HP

PS
How'd ya feel about the Dewey/Truman election?:D
Wasn't around for it. But it's the same thing -- and very similar to some of the things that happened in the last election.

I've heard, but don't know the real story, that the Dewey Defeats Truman newspaper was nothing more than the newspaper printing both versions of the results so that, whichever way the election went, they had the paper printed and ready to go on time and that an error resulted in the wrong version being released. My best understanding is that it was a combination of the two -- belief in the polls and predictions was strong enough that they were willing to take the gamble with the early edition of the paper that had to be sent to print before the polls even closed.

I know that papers (and other media), even today, do those kinds of "cover all bases" kinds of articles for stories that they feel they must get out in the next edition but also know that they won't have the information needed to write the appropriate article from scratch in time to do so. Similarly, it is very common for versions of press releases to be written for multiple possible outcomes well in advance of an event that could be either triumph or tragedy but that, in either event, will need to be addressed publically almost immediately. The Apollo missions, particularly Apollo 11 and 13, come to mind.

But, yeah, the degree to which it reflected a "the result can't be anything other than what we want it to be" attitude, I'm tickled when it turns out the other way.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Wasn't around for it. But it's the same thing -- and very similar to some of the things that happened in the last election.

I've heard, but don't know the real story, that the Dewey Defeats Truman newspaper was nothing more than the newspaper printing both versions of the results so that, whichever way the election went, they had the paper printed and ready to go on time and that an error resulted in the wrong version being released.
Sure, you need to print both sides.

http://deadspin.com/5034144/giants-fan-braves-unbelievable-hardship-for-patriots-19-0-shirt
Not unlike the travels of Che Guevara, Aaron Kaplowitz's heroic quest for Patriots' 19-0 memorabilia in Central America is a tale fraught with danger and high adventure. And did I mention cockfighting? On hearing that a remote Nicaraguan village was the destination for Patriots World Champions gear rendered useless after the 2008 Super Bowl, Kaplowitz and a friend decided that they had to have one of the treasured items.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yep, that's certainly another case in which companies hedge their bets. People want to buy championship memorabilia immediately after the win, so companies have to have enough stock of both possible outcomes ready at hand to last until the first run post-game can reach the vendors. When I first realized this I had assumed that the other stock had to be destroyed. I was quite happy to learn that they can usually find uses for it -- such as selling it in third-world countries where ANY new clothing has value regardless of what it might have printed on it. I was somewhat surprised, happily, that the management of such companies didn't take the attitude that they didn't want to permit the possibility of that obsolete items making there way to someplace it might get noticed.

I got the reverse of that when I was working for Winchell's Donuts (30 years ago -- so I have no idea what their take would be today) when I saw how much merchandise was thrown out every morning (absolutely everything left over from the prior day's bake). I suggested that they be donated to a homeless shelter that wasn't too far away and the manager thought it was a good idea, but the corporate management nixed it immediately on the basis that they didn't want to risk someone eating a day-old donut and associating that with what to expect from their same-day in-store experience.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
After a side trip to Mammoth Cave today (the nearest National Park), we're sleeping tonight within 5 miles of the center of the path, and less than 30 miles from Makanda, the point of maximum totality. Tomorrow we will scope out viewing spots for Monday, although the front yard here will be hard to beat. I had thought about going to the university in Carbondale (the nearest larger town to Makanda) because there should be a fun vibe there as well as some technically minded people hanging about. But Monday is the first day of classes and, with the eclipse on top of that, guaranteed to be a zoo over there.

Locals report an eerie silence in town (Marion). Local restaurants are dead quiet. Speculation is that the locals feared the influx of tourists and stayed home, but the eclipse crowd hasn't actually arrived yet.

A starry, starry night here. Fingers crossed for clear skies Monday.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
we spent the morning with some friends and got a late start out of Western Virginia (not to be confused with West Virginia).

Traffic was getting pretty thick for a Saturday afternoon as we approached the Tennessee boarder. Lots of cops, we were sure it was going to be a traffic jam all the way to Asheville, NC. Then we realized, NASCAR weekend in Bristol. 90% of the cars exited and it was clear highways the rest of the way.

I'm thinking very few people have the vacation time, money and freedom to drive to the eclipse. Time will tell. The hotels are sold out but plenty of VRBO & airbnb properties are available.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I-25 northbound in Colorado Springs is moving very slowly and thoroughly packed.

I wonder how many people are going to miss totality because they have been delayed by traffic.

How'd ya feel about the Dewey/Truman election?:D
Wasn't around for it.
Ditto - T'was but my 'umble attempt to reference a much more recent election sans initiation of political discussion.... But then you saw through that;)

But, yeah, the degree to which it reflected a "the result can't be anything other than what we want it to be" attitude, I'm tickled when it turns out the other way
You may rest assured that you're not alone in that:D

Best regards
HP

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The current weather report here is predicting rain until noon. So we'll just have to see what happens.

Traffic on northbound I-25 was still pretty heavy, but flowing well. But even if it is flowing good all the way up, they are going to be cutting things pretty tight.