Make your plans for August 2017. Total solar eclipse

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Did anyone get a pair of eclipse glasses or have a pair of welding glasses they are going to use? I could not find any place here that sells them. I opted not to order figuring it will likely be overcast anyway and all you really see is basically a shadow.
Yeah, my trusty old welding helmet. :)

Ron

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Yeah, my trusty old welding helmet. :)
Reloadron you prolly know all this but since some ppl don't here it is:)

Welder's glass shade numbers aren't the same as optical density and don't add like most ppl think when cascaded!

So minimum optical density for safe solar observation at sea level=5

So for welder's glass OD=(3/7)*(Shade_number-1)

So minimum shade number for sea level solar observation ≈ #12.666667

So #14 gives good safety margin for higher altitude or in case of slightly out of spec filter.

So u can see from formula that shade numbers cascade like this: SN(cascade)=(SN1+SN2)-1

So I hope that helps ppl who can't find #14:)!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Aleph(0), thank you for sharing that. While I was aware I am sure many are not. Think it was a few days ago on the evening news I caught a story of how Amazon is refunding the money to people who bought glasses to view the eclipse as it was discovered many of these glasses would not effectively block the harmful rays.

Ron

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
This is the sun view today 17 Aug at eclipse time.
I did the same with my phone. Nice clouds. On the day, I will use a wide angle lens camera (Ion Speed Pro) and start the recording. I did todays test to check out the tripod with a phone camera. Hopefully we will have clear skies.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
What will your video show? A slight overcast effect over a 3 or 4 hour period? The passing clouds will have a bigger effect.
today it would have. Hopefully next week, it will be different. If it is worthy of posting, I'll post it. I can slow the mp4 down if it's too fast. If it's too slow, I'll speed it up.

If I have to account for the attention span of most Americans, it will be sped up considerably.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
today it would have. Hopefully next week, it will be different. If it is worthy of posting, I'll post it. I can slow the mp4 down if it's too fast. If it's too slow, I'll speed it up.

If I have to account for the attention span of most Americans, it will be sped up considerably.
Short attention span or wasting time - a 3+hour real-time video of a 75% solar eclipse will be as intellectually stimulating as watching paint dry.

Short attention span or wasting time - a 3+hour real-time video of a 75% solar eclipse will be as intellectually stimulating as watching paint dry.
Indeed... Appreciation of a total eclipse requires first hand observation -- Images, etc. can hardly capture that 'eerie chill' as the FIR 'drops off' - or the 'psychological impact' attending the celerity with which darkness falls in the scant minute prior to 'totality'... Sadly, I'll have to settle for the Ca. 80% totality observable from my lawns -- Alas! Too many miles/too little leisure time:(

Best regards
HP

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Indeed... Appreciation of a total eclipse requires first hand observation -- Images, etc. can hardly capture that 'eerie chill' as the FIR 'drops off' - or the 'psychological impact' attending the celerity with which darkness falls in the scant minute prior to 'totality'... Sadly, I'll have to settle for the Ca. 80% totality observable from my lawns -- Alas! Too many miles/too little leisure time:(

Best regards
HP
I'm spending the night in southern Virginia tonight - meeting old friends in Asheville, NC this weekend and then Morgantown, SC for the eclipse.

I'll report back on the psychological impact.

PS: Our group has decided there will be no cameras - we will enjoy the experience and, if needed, watch everyone else's YouTube videos when we get home.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'm spending the night in southern Virginia tonight - meeting old friends in Asheville, NC this weekend and then Morgantown, SC for the eclipse.

I'll report back on the psychological impact.

PS: Our group has decided there will be no cameras - we will enjoy the experience and, if needed, watch everyone else's YouTube videos when we get home.

Did you get a pair of super secret eclipse specs? I understand they are almost impossible to get right now. Not sure if I would even trust them. Better just to watch it on TV.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012