Make your plans for August 2017. Total solar eclipse

If the topic is eclipse, and electrical grid, wouldnt a logical topic be solar power and the fact that large regions arw losing 80% or more solar energy be a concern - especially regions served by solar.
Inasmuch as said facilities 'handle' up to 12 hours darkness each day, I expect they might somehow cope with a couple minutes' darkness and a few hours attenuated radiation every few decades (at most);)

TTFN
HP:cool:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Did you become one with your inner self?

Did you notice any change in the aura surrounding your companions?
I became one with my inner pee. There are strict public urination rules and plenty of cops and park rangers trying to protect the grafitti-covered granite dome and no place to hide on the inorganic dome.

So, no pee place means no beer as a precaution and no beer means the teenagers in the group were a bit difficult to tolerate - especially since they had no internet connection on this mountain (or a general internet overload issue or the rural network was just overloaded).

Anyhow, quite an interpersonal and intrapersonal experience.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Inasmuch as said facilities 'handle' up to 12 hours darkness each day, I expect they might somehow cope with a couple minutes' darkness and a few hours attenuated radiation every few decades (at most);)

TTFN
I didnt write the story but i did guess the likely content before finding the conspiracy theory on google

I guess I am baffled by the idea of someone posting such a theories and proffering origins, why not google?

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/2017/08/18/most-ridiculous-solar-eclipse-questions/580964001/
6. Will we experience power outages when the moon partially blocks the sun?

Absolutely, if a driver wearing solar-safe glasses while taking a photo of the eclipse plows into a power pole. For all those who have thoughtfully considered this question, like the TV reporter who sought answers from the power company, consider this: Each day we experience several hours of sunless exposure, also known as "nighttime."

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Tried to capture the 'shadow bands' at the 99% phase. I post-processed some video of a newly asphalted parking lot.

On the original video the effect is very faint and not much better here.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

TTFN

I also saw an article expressing a concern about forest fires due to lighting strikes. I don't understand that one either. I am not aware that a solar eclipse is a catalyst or lighting strikes.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I get two major pieces of i formation from your post.

1) you have trouble linking B to C in a logical problem. You tend to try linking B back to what you know, A.

If the topic is eclipse, and electrical grid, wouldnt a logical topic be solar power and the fact that large regions arw losing 80% or more solar energy be a concern - especially regions served by solar.

2) you are too lazy to plug your question into google but willing to type it into AAC - you dont trust google? Why is AAC your first source and not google?
Clearly you are now just trying to pick a fight, like you so often do. Not interested.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Conditions were excellent where I was! Totality was a much more moving experience than I expected. The photos you see are all accurate but do not capture the sensation. The suddenness of the plunge into darkness and the rapid brightening afterwards were both unexpected. I didn't anticipate how different 100% is compared to 99+%.

Several of us noted a queasy "I'm passing out" feeling as the brightness was dropping rapidly. Seeing the stars come out and the corona during totality was simply mind-blowing.

Here's a shot taken in my projection box. I used a small telescope at low power to give everyone a quick way to follow the progression of the eclipse. We also used "solar viewers" which are just an index-card sized piece of cardboard with a band of protective material. We also had glasses and the viewers are similar but we all preferred them over glasses. No horsing around with the ear-holders, and more blocking of light from your peripheral vision.

IMG_0927.jpg

I didnt write the story but i did guess the likely content before finding the conspiracy theory on google

I guess the idea of someone posting such a thelries and proffering origins, why not google?
I also saw an article expressing a concern about forest fires due to lighting strikes. I don't understand that one either. I am not aware that a solar eclipse is a catalyst or lighting strikes.
FWIW I'm a little surprised that solar eclipses fail to produce some observable (albeit slight) meteorological phenomena secondary to their attendant steep IR irradiation (and, hence, cloud and surface heating) gradients each 60% 'flank':confused: -- But then I've long marveled that so dynamic, perturbable and generally 'labile' a system as the atmosphere is as 'tranquil' as it is -- go figure:confused:

Very best regards
HP:)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
FWIW I'm a little surprised that solar eclipses fail to produce some observable (albeit slight) meteorological phenomena secondary to their attendant steep IR irradiation (and, hence, cloud and surface heating) gradients each 60% 'flank':confused: -- But then I've long marveled that so dynamic, perturbable and generally 'labile' a system as the atmosphere is as 'tranquil' as it is -- go figure:confused:

Very best regards
HP:)
What has drawn my attention for many years, is the so-called Allais effect, in which pendulums and gravitometers exhibit anomalies during the course of an eclipse. I wonder how that is supposed to be explained, and if it is indeed real or not.

http://www.dailygrail.com/Fresh-Sci...omaly-During-Solar-Eclipses-Could-Rewrite-the
http://www.messagetoeagle.com/fouca...e-write-laws-physics-total-solar-eclipse-usa/
https://briankoberlein.com/2015/03/22/the-pendulum-of-truth/

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
It should be obvious to anyone on the centerline........what really controls the temp on this planet.........and what a fast fickle it could be.

Makes you wonder how effective our solar flux would be......against an interstellar dust field.

Maybe it's continually sweeping a clear path thru fields.

What has drawn my attention for many years, is the so-called Allais effect, in which pendulums and gravitometers exhibit anomalies during the course of an eclipse. I wonder how that is supposed to be explained, and if it is indeed real or not.

http://www.dailygrail.com/Fresh-Sci...omaly-During-Solar-Eclipses-Could-Rewrite-the
http://www.messagetoeagle.com/fouca...e-write-laws-physics-total-solar-eclipse-usa/
https://briankoberlein.com/2015/03/22/the-pendulum-of-truth/
Granting the veracity of 'contemporary doctrine' (Spec conventional descriptions of the sun and the moon) there is no valid explanation save 'charlatanry' or, perhaps, some unreckoned 'mechanism of interference' with the instruments/observations...

Sometimes I'm tempted to question all I've been taught to 'take for granted' -- but then the brevity of life little permits investigation of all aspects of physical reality for oneself...

But in the grey of the morning
My mind becomes confused
Between the dead and the sleeping
And the road that I must choose
-- Hayward

Best regards
HP

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
but then the brevity of life little permits investigation of all aspects of physical reality for oneself...
A major source of frustration for me... if I were to live forever, then I'd love to replicate all of Newton's experiments, Einstein's reasoning and Feynman's pranks... but no, time is limited and one has to either trust people with recognized authority, or live a mediocre intellectual life.

But this Allais thing has me flabbergasted... it's almost like the infamous ball-lighting phenomena... for a long time physicists dismissed it as either hallucinations or flat out frauds, but in time it was so widely reported that they had to take it seriously due to the vast amount of circumstantial evidence. And it wasn't until very recently that it has finally been replicated in a lab and partially explained.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Last edited: