LTspice simulation of H-bridge using IR2110

afwef1

Joined Apr 1, 2016
I need to simulate H-bridge using ir2110 and irf540 mosfets. At some point in simulation, high output of ir2110 stops working, and I don't know why, hope someone here could help me out.

IR2110sim.as is the point where it works. I am using ir2110 typical connection as guide how to connect it. Anyone knows what is the problem?

I am using LTspice IV to simulate it.

Attachments

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The IR2110 still didn't match with your attached file -- IR2110simNOTworking.asc.
I tried your IR2110 and from eetech00, I also downloaded from the library site, but they are the same, they all too big compared to your asc file.

What is your original screen shot?

(I was used hcpl-2200 from eetech00 provided), irf540 was downloaded from here.

IR2110simNOTworking_afwef1_ScottWang.png

afwef1

Joined Apr 1, 2016

This is SC of IR not working. I am trying to find out when does HO stop pulsing, and also why. I Know it is not the best option to connect half of circuit and then watch what happens , but I have no other idea what to do. I have included eagle schematic which is my final goal how simulation should look like. I have tried to connect it fully ( same way that it looks in eagle schematic ) and I still had problem with HO on both sides in simulation. This schematic provided in eagle was made into PCB and it worked when I used oscilloscope to check it out.

If you want I can connect full circuit and then send .asc file, if you think that would be helpful.

Thank you all for the time you are taking to help me.

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
V2 and V3 should be out of phase, non-overlapping clocks.
V2 and V3 should have series resistors for driving the optocoupler LEDs.
The VS pin should go to U4 source, not to ground.
Since the IR2110 has CMOS inputs, the optocoupler outputs will need pull-up (load) resistors (e.g. 2.7k).
The lower end of C2 seems to be disconnected. It should go to VS.

afwef1

Joined Apr 1, 2016
Scott this is the only one I have. I uploaded it from my C:/some-path-to-LTC/LTC/LTspice/lib/sub.

I made it by opening .sub file in LTspice, finding where .SUBCTK is, right click on component name and then he gave me option to make element and did all work for me. Then I opened new schematic, and just clicked on add element and he was there.

Does this make sense?

Alec I will now try to do what u said and will come later to report what happend. Thanks for advice :)

Attachments

afwef1

Joined Apr 1, 2016
I have got to this.

Ho is always Vcc, Lo is 0V.

Typical connection of ir2110 provided in datasheet says that VS and Dradin of U3 go to load. R5 is "simulating" load.

I don't Know what is the problem now, why Ho isn't pulsing, but I am guessing it has something to do with VS. Volatage on VS is around 14V and according to datasheet max is 0.3V

I didn't put pull up resistor because im not sure how to connect it.

Li and Hi are pulsing as they should.

I have no idea what to do anymore.

afwef1

Joined Apr 1, 2016
I don't think the spice model from IRC is any good.
Actually that would be great, because I could ditch this ridiculous simulation under the reason that model doesn't work ( I have to do it it for university). That would be happy end for me.

I will consult my mentor in few days (Tuesday) about this and will post replay. If anyone has any idea until that I will gladly hear them out.

Anyway, great forum, will definitely stay here.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I can't get the 'official' model to work either. Attached is my own model for a IR2110. I had to rename the .sub file to get it to upload here, so rename it back to IR2110g.sub.

Edit: Model updated.

Attachments

Last edited:

afwef1

Joined Apr 1, 2016
Better, Lo is now pulsing, but Ho is still always Vcc.

I have connected it like this.

Hope I didn't make connection misteake , im doing this very late at night.

Thank you all for effort.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I note you're not using the symbol file I posted, so perhaps the spice pin order for your symbol doesn't match mine?
Edit:
You still don't have pull-up resistors (say 3k3) from the Hin and Lin inputs to Vdd.
You have U4 pin 2 shorted to ground.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you're still having problems, here's a test .asc I've used successfully with my IR2110 model. It works as is, but you could try adding opto-isolators on the front end to check if they're the culprit.

Attachments

afwef1

Joined Apr 1, 2016
OK I think we have finally got it working.

I have now used your symbol, and puted pull up resistors.

I have also made some changes in my schematic according to your IR2110g-Test file.

It's a bit messy, sorry about that, I was eager to test it out.

Ho and Lo are pulsing nicely, and both sides of R3 resistors have pulse signal , not perfect pulse but it should be ok.

I have never seen anywhere that VB should be connected to M1 source, not even in ir2110 datasheet typical connection , however when I did it worked a lot better. Why is it necessary ?

Also huge thanks for your effort and making new component.

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Your circuit isn't right.
I have never seen anywhere that VB should be connected to M1 source
It shouldn't be. VS should connect to M1 source. The bootstrap capacitor should be connected between VB and the M1 source.
And I've just spotted an error in the test circuit I posted: I show VS connected to M2 drain instead of to M1 source. It happens to make little difference there, but apologies for that.
N.b. in most circuits using an IR2110 the source of the top FET (M1) connects directly to the drain of the bottom FET (M2); the load goes from that connecting point to ground (or to another half-bridge).