LTSpice Floating Node

jsthomps

Joined Mar 30, 2010
Hi All,
I'm trying to simulate a circa 1960's circuit that creates a noise based sound effect (torpedo launch "Swoosh"). The circuit uses a PNP transistor with an open collector. I assume this transistor generates noise which is then conditioned by the rest of the circuit. LTspice complains the the node is floating and will not continue with the simulation. Is there a way to tell LTspice to ignore this floating node? See cicuit below:
Screenshot 029.JPG
Thanks in advance,
Scott

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
Add a resistor to the "OUT" output, for example 47 kΩ. The second pin of the resistor is connected to ground GND. Then there will be no floating node.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Connect a very high value resistor from the collector of Q1 to its emitter. I would use something like 100Meg. (You must spell out "Meg" since 100M would be interpreted as 100 mil ohms.)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Add a resistor to the "OUT" output, for example 47 kΩ. The second pin of the resistor is connected to ground GND. Then there will be no floating node.
Probably the best idea - LTspice goes on strike if there's loose ends.

I'm guessing that's a germanium transistor used as a noise generator - there were germanium Zeners, but not abundantly.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Probably the best idea - LTspice goes on strike if there's loose ends.

I'm guessing that's a germanium transistor used as a noise generator - there were germanium Zeners, but not abundantly.
My suggestion of adding a high value resistor to the collector of Q1 may not be valid. I just did a quick test and LTspice did _not_ complain about a floating collector of a transistor. :oops:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If your circuit relies on a component acting as a noise generator, then a simple LTSpice transient simulation won't do much for you.

You need to model the noise source as a suitable voltage/current source and use an appropriate math function to get the desired signal properties.