LTspice Examples

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Scattered throughout the various sub forums are numerous examples of LTspice files with circles and arrows and a pargraph about each circuit, Much like the completed projects forum it would be cool to have some of them collected and organized not only for the circuits, but for the techniques like testing device parameters against the datasheet and using the various capabilities of LTspice. The big advantage this forum has over the groups.io site is the ability to combine files with images and pictures.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The OP esentially suggests "collecting the many simulations using LTSpice" diseminated in the forums of this site.

It could take time but I think is a very useful idea.

Could I help? As the regulars know, not an expert myself.

/Edit
If links are shown, please put them ALL IN ONE POST. I repeat, ALL IN ONE POST.
Nobody will search a long thread. Nobody does.
/Edit

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I'm surprised none of the forums on this site even lists simulation as a subject. It's something which often bridges analogue and digital domains so doesn't sit happily in any of the present forums Over at ETO they have a forum for Cicuit Simulation.

tkosan

Joined Dec 17, 2019
I have been having a conversation with @Papabravo on another thread about the possibility of gathering LTspice files and related data from the various sub forums and copying them into a GitHub project where they would be put under version control.

User friendly browsing and searching of these simulations may be able to be provided through the GitHub "Pages" site that is associated with each project or it can be provided by a separate website. Either way I would be able to create such a website if people are interested in one.

For example, I currently have a searchable database of around 375 formulas that are commonly used in electrical fundamentals and electronics courses. This enables my students to locate formulas much quicker than flipping through the textbook when solving problems. I would probably write something similar to this software to search a database that contains the LTspice code.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Simulations I have seen here are used as tools to help a poster resolve a question. I can seen the value of an index, but not moving them elsewhere. Duplicating them elsewhere, either in a special forum here or GitHub creates a problem of maintaining identity. A modification to one may not be carried to the other.

AAC and GetHub are independent, for-profit enterprises. Whether one should support the other without a written agreement is up to the owners.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I coincide in the idea that it would be better to have all them listed in one single (I repeat: in one single post) so from there you go straight to the one of your interest. Nobody read long threads in full; the reason why stickies usually fail.

Ten years ago many forums had one or another list of helpful resources consisting of ridiculously long threads. Who in heaven would read that in full to look where to order mails or whatever?

Alphabetic lists win always.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I coincide in the idea that it would be better to have all them listed in one single (I repeat: in one single post) so from there you go straight to the one of your interest. Nobody read long threads in full; the reason why stickies usually fail.

Ten years ago many forums had one or another list of helpful resources consisting of ridiculously long threads. Who in heaven would read that in full too look where to order mails or whatever?

Alphabetic lists win always.
I'm not entirely sure how it might work. We could have sections with circuits of various types e.g. Active Filters, Transistor Oscillators, Line Drivers and Receivers. We could also have examples of using basic parts like the user defined switch with a ".model" statement, Then there are specific parts like AD8541 and LT1017. How this would all fit into a coherent structure is a bit fuzzy at the moment.

Last edited:

tkosan

Joined Dec 17, 2019
I'm not entirely sure how it might work. We could have sections with circuits of various types e.g. Active Filters, Transistor Oscillators, Line Drivers and Receivers. We could also have examples of using basic parts like the user defined switch with a ".model" statement, Then there are specific parts like AD8541 and LT1017. How this would all fit into a coherent structure is a bit fuzzy at the moment.
The online version of the free open source CircuitJS1/Falstad circuit simulator contains over 300 example circuits and the way they are organized under this simulator's "Circuits" menu might provide inspiration for how to organize the LTspice circuits.

The CircuitJS1 example circuits are all under the GPL open source license which specifies how the source code of these examples can and cannot be used. I think one of the first steps in the process of making the LTspice examples more accessible to people is to have their creators apply an open source license to each one of them.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The online version of the free open source CircuitJS1/Falstad circuit simulator contains over 300 example circuits and the way they are organized under this simulator's "Circuits" menu might provide inspiration for how to organize the LTspice circuits.

The CircuitJS1 example circuits are all under the GPL open source license which specifies how the source code of these examples can and cannot be used. I think one of the first steps in the process of making the LTspice examples more accessible to people is to have their creators apply an open source license to each one of them.
I don't see the necessity of doing that. There are as near as I can tell no rights worthy of protection whatsoever. They get released into the wild for people to do what they wish with them.

tkosan

Joined Dec 17, 2019
I don't see the necessity of doing that. There are as near as I can tell no rights worthy of protection whatsoever. They get released into the wild for people to do what they wish with them.
As the terms of service for AAC states "You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content." The copyright for each LTspice file that is uploaded to the AAC website is owned by the person who created the file. Unless the creator of the file legally gives away some of their rights to it (usually using one of the popular open source licenses), other people cannot legally copy it or modify it. See https://opensource.guide/legal/

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
As the terms of service for AAC states "You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content." The copyright for each LTspice file that is uploaded to the AAC website is owned by the person who created the file. Unless the creator of the file legally gives away some of their rights to it (usually using one of the popular open source licenses), other people cannot legally copy it or modify it. See https://opensource.guide/legal/
That may be the case in theory, but I'd be surprised if anyone has enforced that right. In 25 years I don't think I have ever seen a © symbol in an LTspice file. It certainly would never occur to me to do so, and dealing with it just seems like an impediment. I'd be surprised if Alex had any interest in doing so either. His "Large Collection" is freely available in the wild. It can be difficult to find what you are looking for in the "Large Collection", but not impossible. The more I think about it the less interested I become.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There is a small limitation in the TOS for LTSpice:
1598646514071.png

I suspect the same restriction applies for the current owner. Aside from that, I saw nothing there that would limit posting LTSpice simulations wherever one would want to do that.

tkosan

Joined Dec 17, 2019
I created an outline of the example circuits categories that are used in the open source CircuitsJS circuit simulator and placed them into the document that is attached to this post. What categories would need to be added to this document, or removed from it, to make it suitable for categorizing the LTspice examples?

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Looks like this was not an original idea. Top four Google hits for LTspice Libaraies on Github

https://github.com/dnemec/SPICE-Libraries
https://github.com/topics/ltspice
https://github.com/kanedahiroshi/LTspiceControlLibrary <-- This one was a surprise, a few changes from the ones in @Bordodynov 's collection: PulseTimer & ComplementaryBufferWithDeadtime
https://github.com/jlsalvat/LTSpice
Like a grey squirrel, I keep rooting around for morels (mushrooms).