Looking for GAL/PAL?CPLD programmer

eda8048

Joined May 16, 2021
Like I said, I have >> 100 of the GAL20V8 & PALCE22v10 and more - in DIP package. The The TL886 II handles all of the GAL's I have, runs on Windows 10, costs ~$60. The GALs program from plain text files, software for Windows 10 is available, I can get a DIP onto my board in 10 minutes at essentially zero cost, and I'm not looking to learn anything for a career. My total investment to start using MY GALs is about $60. I can put a chip clip on it and easily connect to my logic analyzer.

I know the TL886 II does not handle the PALCE devices.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
Any modern FPGA or CPLD is equivalent to a 1000 GALS/PALS and at a fraction of the cost! It makes no sense at all to try to use them. You are simply better off abandoning that old technology. Even if you do have a surplus of them. In fact you can probably sell them on eBay for a significant profit for old circuitry that companies need to maintain that happen to use them.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I'm going to start playing with some GAL's I have an will be needing a programmer. I'd be looking for one with a USB interface that works with Windows 10, and supports a wide array of devices
Your wish is as unlikely as mine - a Ford Model T with factory installed Bluetooth.

eda8048

Joined May 16, 2021
The TL866 II runs on my Windows 10 PC and programs many GAL devices. I wish no more (for a GAL programmer). I still wish I had a programmer for the PALCE devices.