Looking for a good programmer

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hey Guys.

I wonder who the best programmer for PIC's is?
Looking for regular here.

Me got a Job for anyone who is willing to spare some sometime.
Am willing to pay if the price is reasonable or adequate for me.

Job requires to write me a good code for a PIC.
I could start, so providing help is also better as I would learn.
I am asking specifically cause I know I would need help on this.

Application is for this.

Requirements for the code

1. Needs three push button for user input & two more for Start/resume & stop.

2. 7 Segment display to display two digits for count down time.

3. 7 Segment display to display temperature from 0 to 200° F.
( Display can alternate during the dry cycle every 2 seconds from time & temp, so that we won't need too many 7 Segs )

4. Need to monitor a thermistor input for temp measurement another 3 input to sense door open, tumbler rotation sense and over temp cutout sense.
Outputs can be logic out as it will drive a buffer for relay support.

5. In addition to the safety feature program should also monitor the Relay outputs so that fault diagnose can report error codes to indicate faulty relay contact terminal as I have seen the used relay contacts creating faults. Relay contacts are common to AC mains as it drives heavy duty contacters. Contact touch can be sensed by opto's.
# Error code display or indication codes can be customized to our needs.

6. Drive out are 4, controlling a Heater relay, Blower relay, 2 relays for Tumbler (CW & CCW). All 4 out are low for OFF and high for ON.

Any PIC can be chosen for the application.

All I need is someone to code the software, I will handle the rest.
I prefer to start the coding if someone is willing to provide help when I needed promptly. I cannot finish this soon without help and of course is the helper desires payment, it would be my pleasure or anyother favor is also fine. Just need someone to see this to the end.

If forum prefer please PM me. I would be glad to discuss the progress openly to others in a thread beside the code. Not that I do not want to give it out. I would share the code but after the consent from forum admin as I am not familiar with legal issues in other countries.

I am doing this because to help out the hospital. Buying new units in the near future is completely out of the question as they hospital now being privatized. I dunno why they are on such low budgets still.

Waiting fro replies soon.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I could help out with the design but I am not an everyday PIC user. (I have programmed PICs but I try to stay away from them). My experience is with Atmel and Freescale.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I am a beginner when it comes to programing. The prototype I did for the time being are using three 12f629's. I wrote simple time delay's and BSF BCF commands to activate output's.

Chips, what do you mean by design. If it is the circuit, I will design it & post it for improvement/comments.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
12f629 is quite old, and its memory is not sufficient to do all the above especially for those seven segment display routines and few I/O pins. You can use separate chips for handling seven segment displays but using a modern PIC you can implement all in one chip for example PIC18F4520.

2. 7 Segment display to display two digits for count down time.

3. 7 Segment display to display temperature from 0 to 200° F.
( Display can alternate during the dry cycle every 2 seconds from time & temp, so that we won't need too many 7 Segs )
Will be that two separate display units.
How about using a LCD it will be easier and more efficient.

Once I handled a project to create a temperature controlled heat blower and for the display I had to use seven segment display as the company didn’t want LCD ,if its the same weird criteria then bad luck.

Most of the programmers will use C to program not assembly so you should be prepared for that, download MPLAB and HI TECH C compiler.

All I need is someone to code the software, I will handle the rest.
That’s not the way, hardware and software are related with each other they need to be designed with consistency.

Need to monitor a thermistor input
Why not temperature sensors like LM35,LM36 ?

tumbler rotation sense

Their are hall sensors to check that too, what type of sensor you planed for?

mik3 said:
My advice is to use PICs which support the ICP
Almost all available PIC have ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming) feature.

Good Luck and don’t cheat your wife

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I'll be around to help if you are using assembler and a 16F, but I don't really have the time to write the whole code.
If you have 3 displays and you don't mind multiplexing them, I think you need nearly 20 I/O pins so probably a 28 pin chip.
If you went up to a 40 pin chip you could drive 3 displays directly from ports which makes the programming slightly easier.
I usually use PICs with fewer legs so I don't know the best one to recommend.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
12f629 is quite old, and its memory is not sufficient to do all the above especially for those seven segment display routines and few I/O pins. You can use separate chips for handling seven segment displays but using a modern PIC you can implement all in one chip for example PIC18F4520.
I have all the recent powerful PIC's from 40 pins to 18 pins too. No issue here

Will be that two separate display units.
How about using a LCD it will be easier and more efficient.
Place is not well lit and the display is at 6' high, so I figured to use 7 segs as it can be seen from far.
Single display for both will keep cost down and I said that display can alternate every time the temp data is updated like every sec or two secs.

Most of the programmers will use C to program not assembly so you should be prepared for that, download MPLAB and HI TECH C compiler.
I have PICKIT 3. As for assembly I am familiar, but I am thinking of learning to use C during this time.

That’s not the way, hardware and software are related with each other they need to be designed with consistency.
I can design the circuit to use a PIC and change as desired, I do not see any issue here, Yet. But comment are most welcome.
The design will be based on the original concept as I have made a temporary one and is working even now. This one is does not have all the features, that is why I am making a new one for them with all the fault diagnostic and user in/outs

Why not temperature sensors like LM35,LM36 ?
The machine has a thermistor. I don't want to make any other hard ware changes as this unit is just a plug in to the original harness.

Their are hall sensors to check that too, what type of sensor you planed for?
The tacho is something I have to check, I still have no idea what is used for tumbler rotation sensor. But I figured that part could be written later as the PIC will only need to know if the tumbler is not rotating at all once the command is given. And to know if is not rotating during the program cycle so it can report fault. RPM is display is not needed.

Good Luck and don’t cheat your wife
Funny thing abt this is somehow she senses when my ex gf tries to contact me. :confused: don't ask how as I have yet to find abt this.
But for now I am too bzy to cheat. Besides I have permission for a second wife. :D ( even now I can sense jealousy from most of u guys. As for u guys to have second wife all I can say is, DREAM ON.)

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I'll be around to help if you are using assembler and a 16F, but I don't really have the time to write the whole code.
If you have 3 displays and you don't mind multiplexing them, I think you need nearly 20 I/O pins so probably a 28 pin chip.
If you went up to a 40 pin chip you could drive 3 displays directly from ports which makes the programming slightly easier.
I usually use PICs with fewer legs so I don't know the best one to recommend.
Thanks bud, I was hoping for you to reply. :D
Do not worry about which PIC's to use, cause I have plenty.
I better continue this in the original thread.
I will post their once the circuit is designed after checking my stock for suitable relays and such. I might need to order some.
Only after this I can quote a price.

I need to see through everything. Even the face plate too.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Once I handled a project to create a temperature controlled heat blower and for the display I had to use seven segment display as the company didn’t want LCD ,if its the same weird criteria then bad luck.
Can I see this if you do not mind. I like to learn the temp sensing and display part.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Of course but the project files are not currently at my PC,I have to search them from my CDs.It was a long time ago I did it ,about 4 years ago I think...The temp sensing was done using LM35 and I understand that you want to see the algorithm for the display part let me search it then I will post it here, but all the codes are in C language.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I use the PICkit2 that you can get for $30-$35 USD--quite cheap, actually. It has ICSP and a built-in debugger that works in MPLAB (free download). I highly recommend this setup--it's very easy to use.
Good luck!
Regards,
Der Strom

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Chips, what do you mean by design. If it is the circuit, I will design it & post it for improvement/comments.
What I meant was, in my opinion the choice of MCU chip is the least important issue. I can help in the overall design of the system. The programming portion can be handled on any platform. I have extensive experience in industrial instrumentation. I have designed systems with multiple LED or LCD displays, ADC, DAC, 4-20mA outputs, SSR outputs etc. What I do is remove these functions away from the MCU and implement them as addressable modules communicating via RS-485. Hence all I/O is modular and expandable.

That is what I mean by design, i.e. I do system design and integration.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Here I got a prototype code, not the final one as I can't find it but will try later...
Remember I am using common anode seven segment display and the data line is inverted, the temperature scale is in centigrade and its in a format of four digits with one decimal point like “000.0", in this prototype I am using timer0 to update the display at rate of approx 5ms but in the original one I used another timer with a bit more accurate timing.
Anyway in this you will get the idea how to do the display stuff and temperature sensing using ADC.

For wiring read the comment in the file.

Attachments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
So debjit it's in C.
Do you use assembly much?

You know I wud luv to know how to code in C.
But even today when I look at a C code I go ??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
What I meant was, in my opinion the choice of MCU chip is the least important issue. I can help in the overall design of the system. The programming portion can be handled on any platform. I have extensive experience in industrial instrumentation. I have designed systems with multiple LED or LCD displays, ADC, DAC, 4-20mA outputs, SSR outputs etc. What I do is remove these functions away from the MCU and implement them as addressable modules communicating via RS-485. Hence all I/O is modular and expandable.

That is what I mean by design, i.e. I do system design and integration.
This unit is just one cable plug in module. No after need to expand it.
If it works for the first time it would be there for ever.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK guys.
Already started to work on the a rough schema.

It will be posted here and further replies will be made from there.